basic multi cam advice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 27th, 2005, 12:49 PM   #1
New Boot

basic multi cam advice

I am starting to do 2-3 camera shoots. And I discovering getting everything in sync can be harder than expected. Do some people start and stop rolling at the same time? Or just slate it. Any advice would help.
Paul Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2005, 01:57 PM   #2
Inner Circle

A slate is very easy to sync too, so slate if you can.
If you can't, then try syncing to a camera flash. Bring a camera along.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 08:21 AM   #3
Major Player

Slate and flash are the best ways to sync, however if your takes are very long (20+ min of straight rolling tape), you might find that different cameras have slightly different tape speeds and thing get a little off. If you can edit around it, another camera flash will help. If not, try lining up audio tracks and or identifible movements in all cameras such as a foot hitting the floor, character scratching nose etc. More modern/more expensive cameras might not have too much problem with this.
Mike Cavanaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 08:33 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Let me tell ya, it's better to just roll roll roll. During shoots, especially weddings, I have the coordinator tell me 3 minutes before the wedding starts, so I can run from cam to cam to start the roll.

Audio is a great way to find the sync, sometimes I'll look for peaks in the audio, such as feedback because the freakin sound man doesn't know what he's doing! Ok, I'm calm again.

A camera flash is really a good tip, much better than me slapping my hands together and saying 'Rollem.'
Old October 28th, 2005, 08:39 AM   #5
Major Player

Yeah i tend to use a mixture of those.. 2 / 3 cameras doing live gigs, i'll use audio peaks to get them roughly in line, then use headphones and adjust volumes until i can hear if they're slightly out of sync and nudge em a frame here and there. Movements are always useful, but if the cameras are pointing in different directions thats not always possible (or if you're syncing to an audio only track of course!)
James Connors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2005, 01:40 PM   #6
Major Player

Stagger your tape changes 3-5 minutes. This can be done by either staggering when your cameras begin rolling, or by prerolling tapes 0 min on camera A, 5 min on camera B, 10 min on Camera C. All the tapes that follow don't need to be prerolled, just the first one, to "set" the time of the tape change for each camera.

Also headsets for communication between cameras is very helpful. This way when people are making tape changes and battery changes, everyone knows and that camera can be covered during theose few minutes. Create a plan on who is covering what and what canmeras will be wide, or tight, etc.

Keep your voices low and keep the chatter clean and to a minimum, you never know who's listening.

A buddy of mine has a whole bunch of Radio Shack intercoms that seem to work fine, but there are other better, more expensive ones too. In a pinch cell phones work. Be sure everyone's phone is on vibrate. But this may interfere with the audio.
Old October 31st, 2005, 07:33 PM   #7
Trustee

I am working on band video at the moment. I usually use the drum major salute to find a synch and then tune it on an audio peak.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2005, 10:45 PM   #8
Major Player

That's way more fun than a slate!
Old October 31st, 2005, 11:15 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Paul...

For what it's worth, we do multicamera shoots and just have the on-camera talent give us a single hand clap.

Works like a charm everytime.
Old October 31st, 2005, 11:36 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Sasahara
Stagger your tape changes 3-5 minutes. This can be done by either staggering when your cameras begin rolling, or by prerolling tapes 0 min on camera A, 5 min on camera B, 10 min on Camera C. All the tapes that follow don't need to be prerolled, just the first one, to "set" the time of the tape change for each camera.
That's one of the best recommendations I've read yet.

Simple and effective !
Kirk Candlish is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion