Budget Camcorder/Fish Eye Combo for Skateboarding Video - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 25th, 2018, 01:03 PM   #16
Obstreperous Rex

Re: Budget Camcorder/Fish Eye Combo for Skateboarding Video

I think the forum might need a rule about always assuming the best intentions of others, but I wouldn't know how to enforce it. I don't think David meant anything negative with what he said. Let's please move forward; it's a great discussion topic. I'm glad any early-generation DV camcorder is still being held in high regard by any particular niche today, no matter their age or what they do. More power to 'em!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2018, 06:47 PM   #17
Major Player

Nothing more to discuss really.

I'll likely go with the Canon HF-R800 (or 700/600) option. Haven't told my son yet, but I went to a local skate-park with him on the weekend and shot some footage on my HF-G30 of him and some older, more experienced skaters and skooter riders doing tricks. Very polite and obliging - one even remarked 'nice camera' which had my son beaming. Showed him the edit later with several grade options that I thought I might work, including a thrown together 'DV look' (modded 'VHS look' grade with some toned down chroma bleed/fringing) and a pseudo-fisheye distorted version. He was impressed, apart from the fish-eye look and suggested I get a proper lens. I have no interest in doing so, but it gave an indication that he might be content with an HF-R series as the camcorder.

I think his 'thing' about the VX1000 with Century Optics fisheye was largely influenced by a semi-pro/trainer at a skateboard centre in Montreal who has that combo. If it was just the camcorder I might have been tempted to buy one (or V2100, GL1/2) used, but the added cost of a decent 58mm fisheye makes it unrealistic for such dedicated a use. Plus I'd be stuck with selling it had it proved to be a passing fad.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions anyway.

Last edited by Bryan Worsley; April 25th, 2018 at 08:57 PM.
Bryan Worsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2018, 02:34 AM   #18
Inner Circle

It looks to me that whatever camera you or we will be suggesting that eventually it will be skateboarding community reaction that will decide if it's ok to use as it seems more important to have the "right" camera to be accepted in the group.
If they are such a polite and obliging group like you said they will not judge your son based on the camera he is using, the main problem with such old camera's is to find spare parts to have them fixed if something would stop working.
If funds would allow another option could be to get something like a second hand panasonic gx80 with a laowa 7,5mm f2 or a samyang 7,5mm fisheye lens lens and a smallrig cage with a handle or even just a gopro.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2018, 08:17 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
If they are such a polite and obliging group like you said they will not judge your son based on the camera he is using
Which is precisely what I'd been trying to get across to him - only reason I mentioned the guy remarking 'nice camera' was that I could sense my son took that as 'approval', when really the guy was just being friendly and they were happy to be filmed - which in turn gave them a sense of pride at being considered worth filming.

Quote:
the main problem with such old camera's is to find spare parts to have them fixed if something would stop working.
Yes, that's another factor. Perhaps not surprising that there are usually more listings for 'For Parts Only' VX1000/2100's on EBay than for 'in good working condition'. Most likely being sold by skateboarders.

Quote:
If funds would allow another option could be to get something like a second hand panasonic gx80 with a laowa 7,5mm f2 or a samyang 7,5mm fisheye lens lens and a smallrig cage with a handle or even just a gopro.
Thanks for that suggestion, I'll look into it. I must say I would have thought something like a cube-cage would be more versatile than a Cam-Caddie 'Scorpion' type grip. I've seen a few skateboard videos (suddenly I'm interested in them) where that arrangement was being used with 'DSLR's and that would probably apply to small camcorders like the Canon HF-R's also. The notion of using a 'Cam-Caddie' largely arose from the need to come up with an arrangement that mimicked the form factor of the VX1000 (and similar) with the integrated top-handle. That was a big deal when this first came up.

Quote:
......it doesn't seem to matter what we say since we are not skateboarders :)
Not so, whilst it's true I had hoped there might be forum members who could suggest alternatives from personal experience in skateboarding filming or similar close-up action sports....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Worsley View Post
I would welcome suggestions from any forum members who are up on skateboarding videography.
....I was open to all suggestions and appreciate those that were given. Chris's suggestion about an HF-R700 (or similar model) helped to crystallize some thoughts I'd had in that direction and I will certainly look at the GX80 also; I hadn't really considered 'DSLR/MFT' options largely because I had the notion that they would not be as suitable as a video camera in this context, given the need for fast auto-focus and fluid motion characteristics. Maybe I'm wrong.

I suppose I could have made enquiries on a skateboarding forum (and might still do) but had some trepidation that I would be bombarded with biased perspectives in a 'cultural domain' that I was not familiar and comfortable with.

Thanks anyway.
Bryan Worsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2018, 08:34 AM   #20
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Worsley View Post
I hadn't really considered 'DSLR/MFT' options largely because I had the notion that they would not be as suitable as a video camera in this context, given the need for fast auto-focus and fluid motion characteristics.
Canon's Dual-Pixel AF technology in the EOS 70D, 80D and similar DSLRs is actually pretty fast, but I just don't see that type of camera form factor being ideal for skateboarding. No doubt it's been done a lot, but it's not ideal. A small, inexpensive HD camcorder with a WA is the better way to go, so I think you're on the right track.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2018, 07:14 PM   #21
Major Player

I’ve had VX700 , VX1000 and PD150 back in the day and all were good cameras .

For a while I moved on to a couple of JVC GY-DV500 then a SONY DSR-500 before moving on to HD .

These days , I still use tape and have a Sony HVR-V1e and JVC GY-HD251e .

If the skateboarders like the VX-1000 , they would probably like the HVR-V1 which is pretty much the HDV successor to the VX-1000 and shares the form factor and workflow , besides offering both 1080i and 1080p , although for fast moving action they probably don’t want to shoot progressive .

I think part of the reason for the high prices is scarcity since there won’t be so very many left in good working order now . With the later HDV cameras , like the V1 or the Z1 perhaps relatively commonplace , I wonder if prices might actually be cheaper ?
Derek Heeps is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion