Lower thirds at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 23rd, 2018, 04:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Lower thirds

Mods if this is in the wrong place please move it.

I am trying to create a bit of graphic for the lower thirds as backround for a persons name or for something like that.

I am trying to work out what size or scalling would you use so it dose not look big when the video is played back on a tv or projector. Even if I knew what size of font would be use the most would help me out.

I the video editing software I use is Corel VideoStudio X10. There is some samples with it but I don't like them and would like to create some of my own with a logo and without a logo.
Tony McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2018, 01:24 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Lower thirds

In your paint program, create a video-sized image, such as 1920x1080 pixels for HD video. Now you can work on the lower third within that video frame to better visualize how it looks/fits, versus trying to just make a graphic as its own element.

When you SAVE the result, you are saving the entire 1920x1080 image, although most of it is empty space. Save to a format that keeps the transparency (alpha channel) of the background area outside of lower third graphic. Use .png or .tga or .psd format for instance that supports alpha.

Then in the video editing software, you can just drop your graphic onto a layer above the video and there is no need to position or scale, since graphic is already properly located in the frame and just works! And of course video shows through the alpha channel portion automatically.

I just did a web search for "free lower thirds" and a ton of hits came up. You might find one you like, or at the least, use them for reference for sizing and positioning of your own creations.

Thanks
Old April 23rd, 2018, 04:04 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I export a small section of the video with the thirds and play it back on a tv. Trust your eye. You can even take a picture of something on tv you like and use that as a template.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2018, 04:58 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thank you Jeff & Pete for your replies will indeed look at the "free lower thirds" I was to look for a guide on making one but not looking for free ones.

I will try pete idea out and see what it looks like on the tv screen
Old April 24th, 2018, 05:32 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Tony

I have used a lot of these and they look pretty much OK on most commercial projects "size wise" so maybe try them out ..They have nice animated thirds too!!
https://www.videvo.net/
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2018, 04:45 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Chris,

I have been looking at the link to the site you have posted and have downloaded some and have tried some of them out and have now a fair idea on the size and best place for some.

Thank you and all who have replyed
Old April 27th, 2018, 06:35 PM   #7
Major Player

Its easy to do in Motion.

Simply select a stock lower third to edit, import the graphic, drag it to where you want it, resize it, delete the other elements, select SAVE AS and your done.

Ed Roo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion