ATEM Switcher - Black Magic Capture Device Not Detected at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 7th, 2018, 07:55 PM   #1
Major Player

ATEM Switcher - Black Magic Capture Device Not Detected

Hi folks! Recently purchased my first switcher (the Black Magic ATEM $995 dollar version) and I was very excited. Setup of the device and connecting it via ethernet to my computer all went perfectly. Device is working, I can control it via the ATEM Software Control app for things like cutting from camera to camera, adding graphics, transitions, the whole nine yards. But I've hit a snag that 8-9 hours of troubleshooting just can't fix. When I go to capture within the ATEM Software Control application it gives me the error message "No Black Magic Capture Device Connected". I tried connecting via Black Magic's Desktop Video app as well and same thing. I read a bunch of troubleshooting options, tried them all and none worked. I also tried on an alternate laptop. Now the conference is tomorrow and I can't solve the problem.

I made a quick video that shows my whole setup and talks about the troubleshooting options I attempted. Has anybody else run into this and does anybody have any ideas? I also created a Black Magic Design Forums account and tried to post there, but since it's my first post and I'm a new member there's a standard approval needed from a moderator. I did that this morning and I still haven't gotten any word back from the moderator (maybe because it's Sunday) so I'm posting here instead. Any ideas?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gSH...ew?usp=sharing
Josh Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2018, 07:56 AM   #2
Wrangler

Re: ATEM Switcher - Black Magic Capture Device Not Detected

Josh, don't know if you have solved this since posting. The ATEM software doesn't bring video into the computer, it's simply a remote controller for the ATEM switcher box itself. The ethernet cable is providing the control data and the USB is just for configuration. Neither are passing video.

I saw your Mini Recorder in the video but wasn't clear if you had tried it or not. If not, connect it up with the SDI program out of the ATEM switcher and try again (making sure Desktop Video in System Preferences is recognizing the Mini Recorder and correctly configured for SDI). You should be able to capture video in the appropriate pane after that.
Old October 17th, 2018, 10:05 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: ATEM Switcher - Black Magic Capture Device Not Detected

Hi Charles! Thanks for getting back to me. I ended up going to Black Magic forums and have several discussions over there. It took awhile before realized exactly what you said, ha ha. If you don't know much about the Atem Switcher (like I didn't) and you're doing research, if you don't put in HD at the end you read about it's ability to capture footage right to your computer. And the thought never occurred to me that it would actually lose functionality over time (when BM made it's other products for capturing or streaming footage). ha ha. So that was a big head slap.

But I couldn't figure out that even when using my Ultra Studio Mini Recorder why it could just NEVER see a black magic device. Was driving me crazy. Eventually I used my Black Magic Video Assist and ran SDI out from the Atem just to see if the switcher was or wasn't working. And the switcher totally was. The final conclusion, apparently my Ultra Studio Mini Recorder must have tanked! Then things started to make more sense finally.

Now I'm trying to see what options I have for a recorder. Even though the Video Assist is awesome, I need a second recorder because I want to record to be able to receive and record the slides from House AV at venues, as well as to mix live and have that be recorded. So I need another recorder of sorts. Tryin to find something affordable. Was looking at the Magewell USB Capture 2 but then realized it doesn't actually record anything. Just passes it through for something like OSB or Black Magic for my computer and it's processor to do all the work... Still learning obviously.... :)
Josh Hayes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion