DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Selling Stock Video Footage. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/536639-selling-stock-video-footage.html)

Doug Jensen March 26th, 2019 02:58 PM

Re: Selling Stock Video Footage.

1 Attachment(s)
I already made $123 today for doing nothing. $91 yesterday and $112 the day before. Yeah, I must be doing something wrong.

Gary Huff March 26th, 2019 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Jensen (Post 1949818)
Gary, whatever I say will just churn up your anger and animosity even further.

Your wasted attempts at bullying don’t make me angry. Instead, it helps me form an opinion as to your character.

Doug Jensen March 26th, 2019 03:12 PM

And here we go with more personal attacks. Nicely done, and predictable.

Steven Digges March 26th, 2019 04:50 PM

This has become a classic Gary Huff polluted tread. Gary has a long history on this board of useless posts that contain no worthwhile information. Not only are they worthless they are often arrogant or even combative. He is always an angry dog looking for a fight. A true troll in my opinion.

Doug Jensen on the other hand has many years of valuable participation in this community. He has made over 2,700 posts on this board. I have personally read almost everyone of them. I read them all because he has put great time and effort into sharing his vast technical knowledge with other members of DVINFO.net. He is a valuable contributor of advanced and detailed technical knowledge. He is not here to pitch products. However I do know of many members who have gladly purchased his video training classes and been very glad they did. His reputation is impeccable. In fact, now I am one of those people. I purchased this stock video course and am thrilled with it so far.

Public forums can be a tricky place for someone with something to sell. So called internet gurus have come and gone here many times. They are guys looking to build a reputation of their own to sell something or increase there youTube hits for monetization and paid reviews. They all have one thing in common, all they do is pitch something and go away. They come back when they have a new review on their channel or website and go away again. You never find them participating in meaningful conversations sharing their knowledge for free. Doug Jensen is not one of those guys.

I am not writing this to defend Doug. If you know who he is and his background you know he needs no defending. I am writing this for the sake of other readers that may not be aware of his valuable history here at DVINFO and his many years of successful work in our industry. Unfortunately you know what they say about crowds "there is one in every crowd" Gary Huff is the one in this crowd.

Kind Regards,

Steve

Gary Huff March 26th, 2019 05:33 PM

Wrong button.

Mark Williams March 26th, 2019 05:36 PM

This aggressive and poor behavior by Gary is doing nothing but driving people away from dvinfo.net. It is not conducive to learning and sharing ideas which is why I came to the site in 2002.

Bob Safay March 27th, 2019 05:04 AM

Gary's attitude causes me to remember the saying, "Those that can do, those that can't bitch".

Doug Jensen March 27th, 2019 05:08 AM

Thank you Steve, Mark, and Bob for your very kind words. I appreciate your thoughts. You didn't have to post those comments but you did, and I am humbled, to say the least. Thank you.

Donald McPherson March 27th, 2019 01:13 PM

Doug, when uploading do they prefer 24, 25 or 30 fps as it's not like you can change this in post?

Doug Jensen March 27th, 2019 01:20 PM

That's a very good question that nobody really has an answer for. I've grilled the top people at Shutterstock and Adobe on this point several times and they pretty much shrug their shoulders. Personally, I've settled on 29.97 as my default frame rate for various reasons that I talk about in my video. 23.98 is my second choice and I do use it sometimes, but 25P should be avoided if a person cares about USA sales -- which they should. 60P and 50P are a waste of data that will double your file sizes for no benefit in sales.

Donald McPherson March 27th, 2019 02:28 PM

I would only use higher if it benefited for slow motion.

Gary Huff March 27th, 2019 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald McPherson (Post 1949844)

I would say if you shoot in 60p, that you should conform the clip you will be uploading, and not leave it to the end user to do the conform to a base framerate (i.e. go ahead and turn it into a slow motion clip with a base framerate of 24, 25, or 30p).

As for that base, I think you should hedge the difference between clips that are UK specific and generic, i.e. if the clip could be potentially used by video producers in your area, perhaps using 25p is ideal. However, if it's not Scottland/UK/Europe specific necessarily, then you can use whatever framerate you like.

The times I have had to purchase stock footage for use in a client project, I always end up with a mix of 23.98, 25.00, and 29.97. It has never caused an issue in the final piece.

Doug Jensen March 27th, 2019 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald McPherson (Post 1949844)

Absolutely right. I shoot 60, 120, and 240 all the time. But I never upload anything that isn't 29.97 or 23.98. Slow motion is actually very popular. I'd say about half of the shots I sell are slow-mo, but then again, about half the shots I upload are slow-mo, so it is hard to draw any firm conclusions.

Bob Safay March 27th, 2019 03:13 PM

Doug, thank you for that advise. Slow motion is definitely on my list of must haves on my next camcorder. I am still enjoying your course and definitely learning a LOT!!! Thanks for putting this together. Bob

Doug Jensen March 27th, 2019 03:24 PM

It's interesting to me that you are taking it slowly. I always wonder if people binge watch my videos or try to take it in a little at time.

BTW, I'm uploading 27 new editorial clips right now that I shot and graded this morning that I think are going to do very well. Not all of them will sell because they are very similar, but I like to give editors some variations to choose from. In all my searches at Shutterstock I haven't found any footage on this subject. Not even in photos, yet it is going to be a hot topic over the next few years. I was even tempted do try some photos too, but no matter how I slice it I can't see how it would be worth the effort. To me this is becoming like a game.