DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Selling Stock Video Footage. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/536639-selling-stock-video-footage.html)

Gary Huff March 27th, 2019 03:31 PM

Re: Selling Stock Video Footage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Jensen (Post 1949848)
I was even tempted do try some photos too, but no matter how I slice it I can't see how it would be worth the effort.

Well, with that kind of attitude, no wonder you won't succeed with photos.

Bob Safay March 27th, 2019 04:17 PM

Doug, I was taking it slow because my nephew from Colorado came to visit for several days to help me celebrate my 70th (yes folks, SEVENTY) birthday, otherwise I would have be watching them all weekend. They are so easy to follow. Tomorrow I start on the megadata. I am really looking forward to that.

Gary Huff March 27th, 2019 04:24 PM

It's using keywords in Final Cut Pro X, since most of the stock footage sites can read the keywords imbedded in the metadata in the resulting QuickTime export.

Doug Jensen March 27th, 2019 05:56 PM

Well, that is such bad advice for so many reasons I wouldn't even know where to start. Please Gary, start your own thread about your theories on stock footage because your input here is not helpful at all for those people who may not know any better. Do you actually have any real-world experience trimming, grading, creating all the metadata that will be accepted by multiple agenices, uploading, getting the clips accepted and then managing your portfolio? Do you? Please tell us where you have an account and how many clips have you uploaded so we can judge your advice in action. And how much time did it take you to process and upload your portofilio clips? I'll bet FCPX was reall efficient for you, wasn't it? If your ideas are sound, you must be able to point us to where you have put it into practice with great results. Let see it.

I guess you really do just want to stir things up and piss people off like everyone says by lobbing grenades into the conversation. And dumb me takes the bait every time.

Gary Huff March 27th, 2019 06:13 PM

If you want to contribute, Doug, then by all means, please do so. Otherwise, all you’re doing is trying to imply that I’m stupid without offering anything of actual substance as a rebuttal. It makes you look petty and foolish.

Doug Jensen March 27th, 2019 06:27 PM

Yes, I'm foolish for taking your bait. You hit the nail on the head with that one.
Recommending that FCPX be used as the tool for creating the necessary metadata is like recommending that someone write a term paper with Photoshop. Could it be done? Maybe, but a smarter person would use more appropriate software and workflows. You're just throwing out random crap without any actual experience of actually doing what you say you are doing. Am I wrong? Prove it.

Say whatever you want because I won't be responding any further to whatever nonsense you want to spew. Spew away, my friend the floor is yours. Another thread ruined by a troll.

Gary Huff March 27th, 2019 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Jensen (Post 1949854)
Recommending that FCPX being used as the tool for creating the necessary metadata is like recommending that someone write a term paper with Photoshop. Could it be done? Maybe, but a smarter person would use more appropriate software and workflows.

Still not much of a contribution, Doug. If FCPX can import clips that you can trim, apply keywords to, and then export a QuickTime with those keywords as metadata that Pond5, and others can access, then perhaps your way is archaic.

EDIT: Well, Adobe Bridge isn't archaic, but still, that's a $52.99/month cost...which I guess doesn't count to you?

Steven Digges March 27th, 2019 11:22 PM

Once again folks, unregistered readers and those registered readers that may not be familiar with the history of this forum....DVINFO.net has a long history of being a professionals forum devoid of the stupid conversations that ignorant trolls like Gary make to waste your time with. Please don't let his comments detract from the value of this forum. At this point I have laughed at his stupid comments in this thread. Do not take his comments seriously. He is an intellectual little man. He makes me LOL with his stupidity.

And for the record..... I have never once resorted to name calling or personal opinions of any other member of this forum. That does not happen here, ever! Gary is a troll that is not good for this forum. Sometimes you just have to call an idiot an idiot and speak the truth!

Gary, I'm sure your wimpy little keyboard hero attitude is happy with the crap you stirred in this thread. Your a little man with no intelectual leg to stand on. Your stupid, you can keep displaying your ignorance and make us laugh......There are trained professional therapists people like you can seek for help! They can't make you smarter but they might be able to help with your need to attempt to display intellectual dominance in a place where you are clearly seen as an idiot :-)

This is a gentleman's forum. Forgive my attack on poor pathetic Gary. Those of you that understand this forum and me will know I am laughing as I write it. I feel sorry for poor poor Gary.... the intellectually small man who attacks everyone on this forum. Hey Gary, did you think you were going to do that in 1000 posts and not get get called out!

Kind Regards,

Steve

Doug Jensen March 28th, 2019 05:55 AM

Thanks Steve,

Just to get the thread back on track I'll change the subject a little. One benefit of being a stock footage contributor at Adobe is that I get a free subscription to the entire Adobe suite. Including Premiere, Photoshop, Bridge, After Effects, etc. Everything they make I get for free on two computers. The requirements to qualify are $500/year in sales or 300 approved clips, which are pretty low thresholds to meet. Any professional video shooter should have no problem submitting 300 good clips.

I don't talk about this offer very much because I'm not sure how long they will continue to make it, or even if it is still available. So I don't want to get someone's hopes up but as far as I know it is still an on-going offer. And that right there is like making an extra $600 per year from stock footage -- without even making any sales.

Gary Huff March 28th, 2019 06:14 AM

Except there is the cost of capturing those 300 clips. You’re not going to go out in your backyard and get 300 clips that will get approved. This will incur travel costs and room and board most likely. Of course, that’s free if you don’t count the cost. But I run a business, so I have to include that in any cost/benefit analysis, and right now, the numbers come out that paying my $39.99/month is cheaper.

Doug Jensen March 28th, 2019 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Safay (Post 1949850)
Tomorrow I start on the megadata. I am really looking forward to that.

Bob, I think its funny when you keep referring to "metadata" as "megadata". It sure feels like that sometimes and is definitely my least favorite part of doing stock footage. Hopefully by sharing my workflow I can help you shave a lot of time off your processing. It's never gonna be fun, but it can be made more efficient and less painful.

Bryce Comer March 28th, 2019 09:37 AM

Great course thanks Doug,
Just started it, but there is lots of great info in there!

Gary Huff March 28th, 2019 09:39 AM

I just heard back from my friend at Adobe Stock that the deal expired at the end of last year for a free Creative Cloud account with 300 accepted stock clips.

Doug Jensen March 28th, 2019 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryce Comer (Post 1949867)
Great course thanks Doug,
Just started it, but there is lots of great info in there!

Thanks, Bryce. I appreciate the feedback. There must be tons of great opportunities in BC.

Bob Safay March 28th, 2019 04:41 PM

Doug, what can I say? I am now 70 years old and, I grew up in Brooklyn. I'm lucky I can find the keyboard! Anyway, I am really enjoying your course. I always look forward to your next opening quote. I am working on getting the "metadata" part down. I also enjoy the descriptions you used for your editorial clips. I would have never thought of using those descriptive terms. No wonder you sell so many clips. Thanks again, Bob