Did anyone go to the Media Production Show/ at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 12th, 2019, 01:03 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Did anyone go to the Media Production Show/

I went to Olympia, and my bad experiences of UK shows this year continued. At least this one actually had some cameras, lenses and grip kit to look at, but I was quite let down by the content and presentation of the talks. Practical stuff down, boring and long winded chats about business and marketing full of babble just didn't interest me. One that looked promising, and could have been good (on the Queen movie was let down badly by the presenter who seemed to overlook the obvious and think people were there to hear him.

there was a repeat of the lighting demos seen at other shows and if I'd wanted to learn how to light with captured glow worms and candles, it would have been fine. Why would the lighting for a video demo be darker than the exhibition space? By a long way!

I'm beginning to think I've been left behind. The industry is full of promoted PAs, few real technicians and people who care about suits more than gear and ideas. Some conversations I wigged into I simply didn't understand - a bit like when 'yuppies' suddenly appeared in the 90s, a new breed.

I don't think there's any point even going to these things anymore - the products I want to buy are now either missing totally, or hidden away. I've been using JVC camcorders for a very long time - 500, then 5000, then 100, 200 and now I'm on 700 series so I wanted to look at the 800 series now budgets are there, but clearly JVC aren't promoting them. there was one, switched off, and looking lonely, so I gave it a miss.

I also found many stands manned by people who didn't really understand what they had, but were very pushy - something I really hate. crazy priced food, slow queues for coffee and while a busy show, just no longer for me. I don't think I'll be going to any more - my first was in 1980, and I really liked going until maybe last year. Now, the cost of attending is too much for the 90 minutes I spent there balanced against work I couldn't do and get paid for back home.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion