My lens has a spot on it, is there anything I can do? - Page 16 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 4th, 2019, 09:56 AM   #226
Inner Circle

Re: My lens has a spot on it, is there anything I can do?

Can I check something? Vignetting is a gradual darkening at the extremes, with centre as origin - so the corners darken, NOT the whole picture. Are we sure we are talking about the same thing? The still lens on my old DSLR would gradually creep the corners in as I approach maximum focal length. If your problem is an overall brightening or dimming of the image as you progress through the zoom range, that suggests a totally different problem with it - not vignetting at all.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2019, 10:12 AM   #227
also known as Ryan Wray

I think it's the whole image that darkens when zooming in. I only thought it was a vignette cause it was said on here that it was.
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2019, 10:19 AM   #228
Inner Circle

A vignette at the long focal lengths with be softer than one at short focal lengths. it'll won't be in the centre, but around it.. The review video had significant darkening at t8, which appeared be more than just the corner's. It also varied with the focal length. Your lens may vary from their test lens.

Again, we can't see your camera and lens or make adjustments to them, we can only speculate on the causes. You'll have to take the action required by going to someone local, who has the experience and can physically check out your equipment, that''s the only way you'll get a solid answer.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2019, 11:36 AM   #229
Inner Circle

Since this is a new lens, perhaps this issue should be addressed by your local dealer.
Old September 4th, 2019, 01:16 PM   #230
Obstreperous Rex

Not to muddy the waters here, but I think this is a "feature" of his particular lens, and not a bug.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2019, 05:47 PM   #231
also known as Ryan Wray

But the camera does this to my other zoom lenses too, darker to brighter, darker to brigher, during the zoom. It is the camera that is causing it.

I don't think it going darker is a vignette though, cause you would see the vignette when I stop zooming wouldn't you? Or is there any reason a lens would only have a vignette during the zoom only?
Old September 5th, 2019, 12:02 AM   #232
Inner Circle

We keep describing vignetting and you keep describing brightness fluctuations? If you get the same effect on other lenses then it's your camera. It could even be faulty, but I suspect it's just doing what stills cameras do, constantly tweaking exposure, and because you are recording video, you record the result. Neil you buy a new camera and a new lens, it's not something we can fix for you. Maybe we need to stop here, we're making no progress at all because your equipment is preventing it.
Old September 5th, 2019, 12:15 AM   #233
Slash Rules!

Is the T2i supposed to do that though? I know it's "obsolete" now (there are still people using 5DM3s out there for video) but in its day I think it was a pretty popular low cost alternative to the 5Ds even for paid work. Can't imagine people would have gotten away with using it if it was constantly screwing up exposure. Maybe I'm wrong.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2019, 12:31 AM   #234
Inner Circle

As Paul says, if the common factor is the camera, that's what you need to address. Given its age and that you want to shoot more than YouTube cat videos with the camera, it's probably long overdue being replaced. This issue could either be a fault with the camera or operator error, However, that's something that we can't tell from a distance.

The logical thing is to test the lenses on another camera to see if it occurs there. Although, I'm assuming that these zooms are different models. rather than just the old zoom lens with the spot and its replacement from the dealer and the zooms are not being used with the aperture wide open.

A vignette will stay, it's nothing to do with the zooming, it's the focal lengths at which this issue occurs in a lens, not the zoom action.

There is nothing more that can be served by continuing this, the solution lies in your own hands.
Old September 5th, 2019, 06:46 AM   #235
Obstreperous Rex

I still have my old T4i, which replaced a T2i, and Josh is correct, a lot of folks used the T2i (and T4i) for video back in its day. I never got around to putting mine on Ebay, although it's all boxed up and ready to go. I would dig it out, but this is a very busy time for DVi right now (last week was camera week -- did you see all of the big announcements at https://www.dvinfo.net/news -- and there's more happening today).

Brian is right of course, this has been a case of operator error or equipment failure, and it's too difficult to remotely diagnose What we do know to be true is that the OP has an obsolete (that is, pre-DPAF) DSLR and the single worst lens one could possibly buy.

I agree that this discussion has pretty much run its course. I'm tempted to lock it down.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2019, 07:14 AM   #236
also known as Ryan Wray

Sorry, I didn't mean to extend the discussion too much, I was just trying to figure out the best lens possible to buy, for me, and my budget.

If I put my lens on a different camera with an adapter though, it only changes exposure while zooming, if I am using an adapter with servo controls. If I use an adapter without servo controls, the aperture stays the same when zooming.

So since I want a new camera and new lens for future projects anyway, I would have to get one that allows more options on the servo controls, specifically which servo controls it can control. I don't want to replace all my lenses, with aperture ring lenses, cause I would still like to keep the other ones.

So are there cameras out there, newer ones, that allow the servo controls to control the aperture, but then once the aperture is locked, the camera will not to change it when zooming specifically?
Old September 5th, 2019, 08:19 AM   #237
Inner Circle

From what you say, the answer is to buy a new lens and camera.

If you buy a camera with a manual mode you can set the aperture and other exposure settings and these won't change unless you change them.

We can do no more for you on this matter.
Old September 5th, 2019, 09:06 AM   #238
Inner Circle

Confused even more - you decided early on that you wanted to be able to set the iris manually, and were talking about people working the lens, and now you want another servo lens? Why not invest in a parfocal that will allow zooming, constant focus, and on most a ring with a distance readout? Doesn't;t even need to be new as old glass is usually good glass flooded after?

I n' work you out at all - your requirements change like the seasons and vary like a tide ebbing and flowing. A statement in one topic contradicts one in another.

Ok - here we go.

how much money are we spending for you on a lens, and as you don't seem to take photos, could we suggest maybe one of the Blackmagic style cameras could actually be better for what you seem to do?
Old September 5th, 2019, 10:14 AM   #239
also known as Ryan Wray

No i dont want another servo lens, i just want a camera that will work with my other lenses that don't have rings. I will replace the telephoto lens bur I don't want to replace all the lenses.

But getting a camera with manual mode is not enough cause as you can see, my camera is on manual mode and it still changes the aperture when zooming. Will the blackmagic cameras not do that while in manual mode?
Old September 5th, 2019, 10:33 AM   #240
Inner Circle

Your camera may have a fault, so it needs to be checked.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion