I have a color grading question, about calibrating my monitor. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 5th, 2019, 02:30 PM   #16
Vortex Media

Re: I have a color grading question, about calibrating my monitor.

It was brought to my attention by Seth Bloombaum that the link I had in my first post above was for the wrong Blackmagic Device. Thanks Seth.

I have edtied my post. Here is the correct device:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...2855/KBID/3801
Old October 5th, 2019, 02:38 PM   #17
Warden

The device is not really necessary. A modern computer screen can accurately display the same color set as a monitor. It’s important to have the computer screen profiled and calibrated properly. Digital is digital, it’s just 1’s and 0’s. But if they are not converted properly by the software and monitor is not calibrated, then you’ll be upside down.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2019, 02:38 PM   #18
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Donald View Post
This is not as difficult as everyone is making it seem. .
I agree with Jeff, it is all very simple. It is not even necessary to read the links that he has posted or that you understand color spaces, etc. in order to calibrate a monitor for grading. This is all you need to do . . .

Step 1: Connect a Blackmagic Mini Monitoring device between your computer and a television monitor via HDMI or SDI.

Step 2: Turn off all the monitor's automatic functions and set it up to color bars.

Step 3: Start grading.* No additional calibration or knowledge of color spaces is needed.

* assuming you know how to grade and how to read scopes.
Old October 5th, 2019, 02:40 PM   #19
Vortex Media

Quote:
The device is not really necessary. A modern computer screen can accurately display the same color set as a monitor. It’s important to have the computer screen profiled and calibrated properly. Digital is digital, it’s just 1’s and 0’s. But if they are not converted properly by the software and monitor is not calibrated, then you’ll be upside down.
We will have to agree to disagree on that one because I strongly disagree with your statement. I don't know any professional colorists who would not grade via SDI or HDMI output to a video monitor. Plus, it eliminates all the variables of computer screen calibration which is the reason for the OP's post. My recommendation is so much simpler.
Old October 5th, 2019, 02:44 PM   #20
Vortex Media

Quote:
Jeff, without a Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini device (or similar model) what is your suggestion for getting full-screen video to a monitor while grading? Resolve is absolutely setup to be used in a three monitor configuration:

Monitor 1) Computer with Resolve GUI
Monitor 2) 2nd computer monitor just for scopes.
Monitor 3) TV/video monitor being fed program output via HDMI or SDI.

How do you do it?
Old October 5th, 2019, 02:55 PM   #21
Warden

SDI (Serial Digital Interface) is used in broadcast facilities for transmission of standardized video formats of uncompressed and unencrypted signals over long distance runs. SDI and HD-SDI are used because of licensing agreements that restrict the use of unencrypted interfaces.

This has nothing to do with color accuracy or calibration of monitors.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old October 5th, 2019, 03:02 PM   #22
Vortex Media

Quote:
SDI (Serial Digital Interface) is used in broadcast facilities for transmission of standardized video formats of uncompressed and unencrypted signals over long distance runs. SDI and HD-SDI are used because of licensing agreements that restrict the use of unencrypted interfaces. This has nothing to do with color accuracy or calibration of monitors.
Oh come on. Really?? That is your answer? I never said it had anything directly to do with calibration. Clearly SDI is just a pipeline to get video output from a camera, computer, and other video devices to a monitor or other devices. If you don't use SDI, what method do you use to move video signals from device to device? Every professional camera, recorder, and monitor I own uses SDI. What would you suggest as an alternative?

And I'll ask again, what is YOUR setup for monitoring professional color grading with Resolve?
Old October 5th, 2019, 03:10 PM   #23
Warden

Just because you use SDI, what makes you think that the colors on the monitor are accurate? Yes, you can buy monitors with built in calibrators, but I doubt the average user on DVI is using that grade of monitor. How does your solution provide accurate color?

Old October 5th, 2019, 03:36 PM   #24
Vortex Media

Because it allows the operator to set up the video monitor using SMPTE color bars so that a video signal can be accurately monitored and evaluated in a video environment. Period.

The key word here is VIDEO. I'm not talking about Photoshop, or Lightroom, or any other software or workflows that may also depend on calibration. I am talking about professional video. Color Bars is all that is needed. One does not need calibration tools, special software, or in-depth knowledge of color spaces. This is video production 101. Very simple.

And I'll ask again, what is YOUR setup for monitoring professional color grading with Resolve?
Old October 5th, 2019, 03:46 PM   #25
Warden

So, color bars are a standard reference signal, with standard reference colors. Monitors and computer screens use various methods of displaying the signal received via SDI, HDMI and other transmission standards. Here is a good article from Eizo that explains some of the fundamental issues that the monitor must resolve, such as how many bits of information is being received and how many bits of information can the monitor display. Again, in a perfect world everyone here is using $5000 USD monitors, but the reality is they are using much less expensive display hardware and if they want accurate color, SDI is not a solution.

Old October 5th, 2019, 03:54 PM   #26
Slash Rules!

I see this is becoming "a thing". Again, I have done much research on this, every time I do a personal project (that I can't possibly justify the cost of a real grading setup for) and want to know what I'm seeing is accurate.

No colorist I have seen the opinion of thinks "any computer monitor" will do. They all recommend specialized monitors like the Flanders.

There are page and pages and pages of probably hundreds of threads about the fine points of color space conversion and which settings need to be where so I refuse to believe it's as simple as "turn auto settings off and calibrate to bars". There's supposed to be some sophisticated procedure involving a "probe" that measure each individual screen, color luminance etc across the entire surface and creates a profile that corrects for unevenness in those parameters. As (I think) a human, I would say we don't overcomplicate stuff for fun, and if it was really that simple, I think the colorists would know it. Same reason sound guys and camera guys buy all the fancy crap they do. Sure, there are gearheads, but I believe most of us would like the simplest, quickest, cheapest, least physically demanding way to get the results we want; surely colorists are no different (gearheads aside).

And you need a monitor capable of displaying full gamut blah blah blah and on on and on. The conclusion is that, for instance, my Imac monitor simply cannot be calibrated or used for accurate grading.

Now, perhaps all these neurotic colorists here are talking about the high standards of features, high end music vids, commercials, narrative TV, netflix, etc.--pro content with distribution in place for a wide audience, basically the top of the production food chain, and folks here are talking about something that gets you 75%-90% there. I'm just telling you what I've read.

The HDMI/SDI out from the computer is supposed to get you the compliant, true signal to your external monitor and bypass all the computer profiles etc. that cause a bias.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2019, 04:17 PM   #27
Warden

Hi Josh, it’s good to see you still on DVI and continuing to pursue your dreams.

So, let me get this straight. The preferred monitors are Flanders. Here is a link to one of their monitors.

FSI | AM420

Funny how when I go to the page the first two things mentioned (one would think that you might highlight the most important features the first) are Color Management and Calibration. Flanders Scientific even points out that you can return your monitor for free calibration, if you feel it needs it.

Why would Flanders Scientific do this, if all they needed was a Convertor from Black Magic?

Color Management and color calibration is critical in ANY workflow that requires accurate color.

Old October 5th, 2019, 04:17 PM   #28
Vortex Media

With all due respect, I don't have time to keep saying the same things over and over again or trying to educate someone who is clearly out of their element and doesn't want to learn. Especially when that someone won't even answer very simple questions about their monitoring setup. We are talking about VIDEO PRODUCTION and this is quite different than photos or graphics or other kinds of calibration. I'm out of this conversation. Make of that whatever you will, but I am not going to waste further time on this thread.
Old October 5th, 2019, 04:29 PM   #29
Warden

Hi Doug,

I’m sure your reference of being out his element was directed towards me. I was president of Impact Video Productions from 1988 to 1996. Our clients included Proctor & Gamble, Krogers, Ford Motor Co., Johnson and Johnson, University of Cincinnati, UC Medical College, and hundreds of other corporations.

I’m a certified AVID editor, I’ve taught Final Cut Pro since 2000 and I’m a certified instructor in Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Lightroom. I’ve taught Photoshop since 1994. I taught video production at St. Pete College from 2002 until 2006. I worked for Apple Computer from 2006 through 2008. I still consult for Apple with regard to UI, OS, iOS and cameras. I do beta testing for Apple, Adobe and Western Digital.

Lastly, I’ve been calibrating monitors since 1985. I think I have a pretty good understanding of the issues at hand.

Sorry to bore everyone here with facts.

Old October 5th, 2019, 04:34 PM   #30
Slash Rules!

Flanders one of the models that comes frequently recommended on those forums, yes, not the only one.

What they are really saying is you need a monitor capable of being professionally calibrated and displaying the correct color space and gamut.

There are maybe some plasmas or other consumer sets that can do this, depending on what you can and can't turn off.

There are articles out there about affordable grading monitors and what to look for.

I have been wrong about the bars, thought it was way more complicated than that.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion