Mobile phone solutions for non "news camera" filming at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 23rd, 2019, 07:20 AM   #1
Equal Opportunity Offender

Mobile phone solutions for non "news camera" filming

Sometimes you need to use a camera that doesn't spook employees such as those working at a gas station when all you need is an overlay shot of magazines on display or something as innocuous. A camera like the one your mobile phone has.

I used one for just that purpose, but the problem for me is the inability to control or lock the exposure.

Does anyone know of an app or other solution for this?

A worthy mention is the open source HedgeCam which like many other apps is focused more on photography. It has some neat stuff such as being able to keep the phone torch light on whilst filming, giving you a fill light.

Keen to know your solutions if you have any.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2019, 09:01 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Mobile phone solutions for non "news camera" filming

The iPhone/iPad does (natively) allow you to lock exposure for stills and video.

Click and hold on the subject you want in-focus.
The yellow frame flashes, then holds steady.
Focus will hold at that subject’s distance.
A small sun icon appears next to the frame; drag it up and down to change exposure.

For full manual control of video, I highly recommend the app Filmic Pro, over here it’s $16 USD. I think there is also an android version.
Old October 23rd, 2019, 05:22 PM   #3
Equal Opportunity Offender

We have a similar exposure control on the Android devices. If I am correct, both of these are comparative overrides of the automatic exposure control. They are still subject to the camera deciding that the exposure needs to change in line with what is now in the field of view.

I did see FiLMiC Pro for Android but it isn't compatible with my device. Not sure why as it's a fairly recent phone.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2019, 10:49 PM   #4
Trustee

Seth - that was a great post! First off, didn’t realize the “sun” that was alongside the focus square can be used to adjust exposure. Played with that for a bit. It’s kinda close to the focus square and my big fingers had difficult selecting it instead of the focus square.

Second off, after fiddling around with that, the next thing was the Filmic Pro. All I can say is … Wow! What a lot of capability! And, it doesn’t end there. After watching a number of videos of the app combined with a gimbal, the app is really impressive. Watched one video using the app in conjunction with a gimbal with a DSLR doing video, about 9 minutes long and can’t find it in my history. There was so much capability it was mind-boggling! Have work to do but what awesome gear is available now.

Thanks for the post!
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2019, 11:51 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Filmic Pro - what an app, yes, it really opens up the iOS platform in some meaningful ways. Sorry to hear that it isn’t more available over Android OS.

I’ve done some experimenting with a DJI Osmo Mobile 2 with my iPhone 6s. An active gimbal is pretty cool with a lightweight cam like a smartphone.

The other great smartphone accessory I’ve promoted in mobile filmmaking workshops is a $16 lav and a $6 extension for it. That’s all you need to add to FP for a 1-subject interview. Well, and, a tripod adapter. And a lightweight tripod or tabletop tripod/rig. No really, that’s it ;-)

A smartphone in experienced hands is really quite capable for web video and such.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion