OpenShot: does anyone know it? I have an incredible problem. help !!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 17th, 2019, 12:40 PM   #1
Major Player

OpenShot: does anyone know it? I have an incredible problem. help !!!

Hi, I installed OpenShot on my laptop. I need OpenShot for quickly home video editing. After installing it, I configured it by going to the Preferences and chose an HD 50p file. When I put HD clips on the timeline, the preview is not fluid but I'm enough happy. But when I add the pics, the pain comes. They are jpeg pics made with a compact camera, but I also tried other pics taken with a GH5. In a few words when the track cursor goes on the pic clips it almost freezes. It takes an eternity to pass 5 seconds only. I'm doing tests for some hours but I'm not able to solve that problem about the pics..
The laptop is brand new and costs over 1000 euros, so it's not a bad laptop. It's an i7 with the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 video card. Can you tell me why I have this problem? Maybe do I have to configure someting? Can I solve this problem?
Thanks
Old December 17th, 2019, 01:19 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: OpenShot: does anyone know it? I have an incredible problem. help !!!

The photo’s resolution is too high. Using a photo editor reduce the resolution to match the video and reimport. If you’re editing 4k video it’s not shocking that a laptop would struggle. People often transcode video to a less compressed format or create proxy files to speed up timeline playback (4k h265 will bring any laptop to its knees). If the photos need to be animated using “ken burns” like motion I use a separate program. Most video editing software isn’t good at animating photos.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2019, 02:18 PM   #3
Major Player

Hey, thanks for your suggestion but I don't understand well. Do you think a laptop with i7 and a separated videocard and windows 10 can't manage videos in HD? It look even more incredibile as well as it is not able to manage a jpeg pic taken with a compact camera. Now I checked all the pics and they are around 2,5 MB.
Old December 17th, 2019, 02:18 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
The photo’s resolution is too high. Using a photo editor reduce the resolution to match the video and reimport...
Agree with Pete. Also, if reduced resolution doesn’t help enough, you can try conversion to png or tiff formats, which may (or may not!) work better.
Old December 17th, 2019, 02:43 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Moroni View Post
Hey, thanks for your suggestion but I don't understand well. Do you think a laptop with i7 and a separated videocard and windows 10 can't manage videos in HD? It look even more incredibile as well as it is not able to manage a jpeg pic taken with a compact camera. Now I checked all the pics and they are around 2,5 MB.
2.5mb jpeg is probably around 4,000 x 2,500 pixels. If you’re editing in HD you can reduce the resolution of the photos down to 1,920 x 1,080 without any loss of quality.

As far as the performance of your laptop there are many factors that can slow things down. You’re editing software may not be configured or have the ability to use the graphics card. Video editing also generates a lot of heat, laptops will throttle both the cpu and gpu when they get hot. Maybe you need more ram or the software isn’t great. Like I said before highly compressed codecs used by today’s cameras require a lot of processing power to play back. Finally you should be editing off a fast internal ssd hard drive. Like in many things you’re only as fast as your weakest link. Laptops are very convenient but they don’t excel at editing video.

Reduce the photo resolution and you should be fine.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion