Help: The best miniature camera phones? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 5th, 2020, 07:52 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Help: The best miniature camera phones?

Hi. Haven't been around for a while, my account dashboard has been broken. I used to be in alternative imagining a lot.

I've been wanting to find the best FullHD+ (4k+ actually) miniature camera phones (the size of the original iPhone or smaller, but definitely smaller than the original iphone SE) for pro filming through something like filmic Pro or vizzywig still frame based technique. But it is hard to find out about lots of them, and I've been too sick to be able to look much. Going through some pretty insane stuff here.

I was wondering if there is anybody out there who would like to research this, maybe one of the old crowd, or if anybody would like to contribute some linked suggestions to the thread?

Another thing is, camera apps you can load in a new codec to, to get closer to 36mb/s+ h264 per megapixel (4k at nearly 300mb/s), half that much in h265 and a 1/4 in the new video after that? A lot of phone codec hardware is pretty poor, but there is a lot more processing power in the CPU/GPU which could be used with it. A Bayer raw codec like cineform could be used.
Tricking out the hardware. 4:2:2/4:4:4 and external control interface also being looked for?

Some of the stuff out there makes the original iPhone look enormous, but generally the sensors aren't great, and that's hard to find out about too.

Some examples:
Surely there may be good ones out there.

[Img]i.ebayimg.com/images/g/-pEAAOSwdmRdVD8o/s-l400.jpg[/img]

[Img]www.dhresource.com/0x0/f2/albu/g10/M00/3B/35/rBVaVlzStz-ATKfSAATdkjdsbS8038.jpg[/img]

[Img]i.ebayimg.com/images/g/lX4AAOSwtvZcPqex/s-l400.jpg[/img]

[Img]i.ebayimg.com/images/g/rjEAAOSwCZZdLIzw/s-l400.jpg[/img]
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2021, 01:59 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Help: The best miniature camera phones?

Maybe not miniature. But I just upgraded my phone to the Samsung s21 Ultra. Anyone wants to a DSLR.
Old April 10th, 2022, 07:19 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: Help: The best miniature camera phones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Morellini View Post
Hi. Haven't been around for a while, my account dashboard has been broken. I used to be in alternative imagining a lot.

I've been wanting to find the best FullHD+ (4k+ actually) miniature camera phones (the size of the original iPhone or smaller, but definitely smaller than the original iphone SE) for pro filming through something like filmic Pro or vizzywig still frame based technique. But it is hard to find out about lots of them, and I've been too sick to be able to look much. Going through some pretty insane stuff here.

I was wondering if there is anybody out there who would like to research this, maybe one of the old crowd, or if anybody would like to contribute some linked suggestions to the thread?

Another thing is, camera apps you can load in a new codec to, to get closer to 36mb/s+ h264 per megapixel (4k at nearly 300mb/s), half that much in h265 and a 1/4 in the new video after that? A lot of phone codec hardware is pretty poor, but there is a lot more processing power in the CPU/GPU which could be used with it. A Bayer raw codec like cineform could be used.
Tricking out the hardware. 4:2:2/4:4:4 and external control interface also being looked for?

Some of the stuff out there makes the original iPhone look enormous, but generally the sensors aren't great, and that's hard to find out about too.

Some examples:
Surely there may be good ones out there.

[Img]i.ebayimg.com/images/g/-pEAAOSwdmRdVD8o/s-l400.jpg[/img]

[Img]www.dhresource.com/0x0/f2/albu/g10/M00/3B/35/rBVaVlzStz-ATKfSAATdkjdsbS8038.jpg[/img]

[Img]i.ebayimg.com/images/g/lX4AAOSwtvZcPqex/s-l400.jpg[/img]

[Img]i.ebayimg.com/images/g/rjEAAOSwCZZdLIzw/s-l400.jpg[/img]
You want top quality 4k video, and the smallest camera out there? OK!!!

I’m seeing major improvements in all areas of cell phone video. Any iPhone 12, or 13 is now going to be pretty killer. Yet I opted for the Pro Max models - desiring the largest storage space available.
Jeff Turkali is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion