Best Mac "fix burn-in" option at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 11th, 2020, 09:06 PM   #1
Go Go Godzilla

Best Mac "fix burn-in" option

Short version:

Got a Mac with a Retina display and nasty image-persistence? Use this to "wipe" it down:

WhiteBox - Plasma 10.6

Long Version...

If you're like me and have an iMac late-2014 or newer which comes with the Retina display, then after a time (for me it was about 2 years) you've noticed "image persistence" as it's called or, "burn-in" of items on the desktop that like to ghost themselves over everything else while you're working.

Over the years I've tried dozens of methods for "wiping" the screen with some sort of software trick, all-white screen for hours... none of them worked.

And just in case you're wondering if it's a firmware/software thing that could fix it, there isn't. This is a known hardware issue with IPS wide-viewpoint screens that have ultra-high resolution that as they age, start to show the danged image persistence characteristic. You'll never permanently get rid of it, it's physically impossible due to the nature of the IPS screen itself, but I have found a wonderful - and free - tool to temporarily "wipe" it down:

WhiteBox - Plasma 10.6

Unfortunately it's Mac-only, and it's compatibility stops with Catalina. But all I can tell you is that for whatever reason, this thing actually does a fantastic job of wiping down ghosting, to the point that for my display if it runs for more than 10 minutes my "ghosts" are totally gone.

That is until I've been working for more than 8hours at a stretch, and the ghosting starts to return. Meh...
Old December 12th, 2020, 04:52 PM   #2
Vortex Media

Re: Best Mac "fix burn-in" option

Hmmm, I have four MacBook Pros. An old 17", two 15" models from 2014, and a 15" 2018. My wife has a 15" and a 13" MacBook Air and a iMac (not sure of the size). Not a hint of burn-in on any of them. I can't believe this is even an issue, really.
Old December 12th, 2020, 11:28 PM   #3
Go Go Godzilla

Amazing how much ignorance exists today:

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/...sting+in+5+min.

Try reading about the world around you, Doug, before making comments like this. I'd use stronger words to describe your reply, but it would just get nixed by the forum police.
Old December 13th, 2020, 05:07 PM   #4
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane View Post
Amazing how much ignorance exists today:
https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/...sting+in+5+min.
Try reading about the world around you, Doug, before making comments like this. I'd use stronger words to describe your reply, but it would just get nixed by the forum police.
"Amazing how much ignorance exists today." You said it, buddy, you said it.

I have eyeballs. There is no problem with any of my Macs. That is a simple fact that cannot be disputed by you unless you want to come over and have a look for yourself. Apparently the fact that my Macs have no problem, and I actually have the nerve to say so publicly really offends you. You should seek professional help, and i don't mean for your computer screen.

BTW, if you'd like to use stronger words, be my guest. I am not easily offended and you'll just make yourself look like an ass for lashing out like a crazy person because my Macs don't have ghosting.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion