Simplify Cable Mess at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 27th, 2022, 11:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Simplify Cable Mess

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to find a way simplify the cables needed for my webcast cameras. Apart from HD-SDI, XLR and control cables, each camera location has a power bar and 4 individual supplies for:

- Camera (currently a mix of Sony HXR-MC88s and HVR-Z1Us)
- Blackmagic Mini Converter (HDMI to SDI or Analog to SDI)
- Bescor MP101 remote head (dc power supply)
- USB to Ethernet extender (dc power supply).

Could someone recommend a cost effective way to accomplish this? All cameras are indoors and 75-100ft away from the switcher.

Thanks
Mark
Mark Chafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2022, 09:46 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Simplify Cable Mess

I like using velcro. If you are on carpet the Safcord Carpet Cord Covers are great, but they don't grab to every carpet type. You would have to test. Velcro strips used every 6-12 inches can help cables stay neat in appearance. If this is what you are thinking of.
David Stoneburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2022, 10:36 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Plastic spiral wrap is pretty good, but of course all these things add bulk to the tripes you are creating.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2022, 12:27 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Really appreciate the suggestions, but I'm ultimately trying to find a way to combine power supplies. Right now I have the camera power supply and 3 wall warts for the converter, remote head and USB extender. I know professional broadcast equipment can take 12vdc over 4pin XLR and most broadcast cameras have "d-tap". to power accessories. Just wondering if there are any cost-effective options for con/prosumer equipment to be able to do the same so I don't need so many power bricks and power bars at each camera.

I know getting a camera with a native HD-SDI output would help, but budget is always an issue and sometimes adding HD-SDI adds a hefty price.

Thanks
m
Old May 1st, 2022, 12:29 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Stoneburner View Post
I like using velcro. If you are on carpet the Safcord Carpet Cord Covers are great, but they don't grab to every carpet type. You would have to test. Velcro strips used every 6-12 inches can help cables stay neat in appearance. If this is what you are thinking of.

Thanks for the the carpet cord cover suggestion. I can definitely find a use for those.
Old May 12th, 2022, 11:59 PM   #6
Trustee

Someone with the right bit of basic electronic knowledge could fabricate a multi-output power supply. But would the convenience be worth the monetary cost? Besides, you would end up with a common power supply that's bigger than the individual supplies. And you'd still need a power cable to each device. So in reality you're just trading a $5.00 power strip for something equally big and more expensive, and no change in wire count.

However, there are other issues.

First, are all the power supplies the same polarity with respect to ground? They are *probably* all negative ground now, although in the past there were some oddball positive ground devices.

Also, there's the question of ground loops. If all the devices have their grounds connected together through the power supply wiring, and *also* have various ground interconnections via the signal cables, you're introducing ground loops. Of course in some situations this is of theoretical interest only, and that's probably the case with short cable runs. But be aware that *occasionally* it might produce some noticeable problems.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2022, 12:27 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I had the great idea to make up some multi cores for some of my cameras. One repeat job, that was just a faff to do. So I sent DC, comms and a return video feed to them and a y/c and comp video from the cameras. My design worked fine, apart from the DC! I’d forgotten the drop in the cables, which were, 50, 30 and 20m. In the end I had to use variable voltage power supplies to make it work properly because the cameras were so sensitive to the voltage. Once I had it sorted, it worked fine, but I’d forgotten totally about Ohms law. I’d also forgotten that swapping monitors changed the voltage required, by increasing or decreasing current demand. It wasnt much but meant two different pen marks on the knob, and then I worried about accidental over voltage, if somebody removed one!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion