Camera for run and gun video journalism at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 27th, 2022, 09:45 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Camera for run and gun video journalism

Hi,
Been a while since I visited the forum but like to hear your opinions. For a client I'm looking for an easy to use 4k handheld. I've been using the EX3 years ago but today shoot on FX6 and Alpha cams. Not easy to use for run and gun shooting by newbies. The pricey sony z280 looks good but is almost 4 years old now. Any other ideas?
Peter Brinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2022, 09:52 AM   #2
Vortex Media

Re: Camera for run and gun video journalism

The Z280 is four years old, but still top dog in that category. You won't find a better run and gun camcorder.
Old October 27th, 2022, 12:39 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Doug. And way better compared to the Z190? Or only in low light?
Old October 27th, 2022, 02:30 PM   #4
Vortex Media

The Z280 is about 4-stops better in low-light than the Z190. That is the biggest difference, but there are quite a few other differences that may or may not matter to someone, depending on what they expect from the camera and how they plan to use it. You can watch this video to learn about the rest of the differences. I can't even remember all of them off the top of my head! :-)

Old October 28th, 2022, 04:17 AM   #5
Regular Crew

thanks again, I'll have a look
Old October 28th, 2022, 11:17 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I have been covering a few events this year where also journalists where present, saw a few iphones with a handheld mike attached to it. Looks like phones are taking over as a easy tool for a one man band covering the news.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2022, 11:32 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brinkman View Post
thanks again, I'll have a look
Also, have a look at the Sony PXW-Z90. I think Doug was reasonably impressed with that. For its price and capability, it is quite an amazing camera for daily real, as you put it run-n-gun coverage. Sky News UK use them on many overseas hard news locations. Alongside their GH5s reporting on their Hotspots program. I've used one ever since they came out and for low profile unobtrusive coverage they fit the bill quite well. They have NDs, are stabilized and have great AF, can shoot 422 10-bit HD at 50/60p and if needed 4K 25/30p. XLR inputs and they have SDI out which is great for network link LiveU type situations where I have used one quite often. Oh, and a decent hi quality zoom, which in HD can deliver a 24 x range. Worth a look, I think. I have S35 and FF cams, but often the Z90 is grabbed when fast developing situations where speed of personal movement in demanding locations demands something small and light, but that is capable of delivering the goods. There is a sample news coverage video in the link below.

Chris Young

https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/10/...-sony-pxw-z90/
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2022, 06:08 AM   #8
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Young View Post
Also, have a look at the Sony PXW-Z90. I think Doug was reasonably impressed with that.
Sure, for whatever my endorsement is worth, I think the Z90 is an excellent camera. I sold mine to my brother a couple of years ago because I wasn't using it much (I have too many camerars), but by then it had already paid for itself several times over just from stock footage sales. Great picture and easy to shoot with. Until the FX6 came along it set the standard for AF on a video camera.
Old November 1st, 2022, 11:20 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brinkman View Post
Hi,
Been a while since I visited the forum but like to hear your opinions. For a client I'm looking for an easy to use 4k handheld. I've been using the EX3 years ago but today shoot on FX6 and Alpha cams. Not easy to use for run and gun shooting by newbies. The pricey sony z280 looks good but is almost 4 years old now. Any other ideas?
Take a look also at the Sony PXW-Z90V if you want a camera that's even smaller/lighter/cheaper.
Old November 2nd, 2022, 08:23 PM   #10
Vortex Media

Old April 2nd, 2023, 10:22 PM   #11
Trustee

I have been using my Z90 for years and it's my other main camera, my other camera is an FS5M2 which I find more of a hassle to use and always grab the Z90. In fact I've wanted to sell my FS5M2 almost the day I got it and now I'm lucky to get anything for it, so it now sits at home or in my car as a back up.
I would buy another Z90 or an version 2 of this if they bring one out, it's that good for the work I do.

I shot this video on my Z90, edited in FCPX and from memory this was Cine 4, I have since change to Cine 2 for the past few years.
I think there's two shots with my Sony A73 at the start inside the caravan, other than that it's all Z90 and a DJI drone, the Mavic air I think, which I crashed on the last day of the shoot and it died...lol.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion