Canon XLH1 Tape Transport Replacement at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 8th, 2023, 07:47 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon XLH1 Tape Transport Replacement

Was not certain as to where to post this one.....

Want to replace my tape transport mechanism on my XLH1. I have a brand new replacement.
Need input from anyone who has opened theirs up and attempted repairs.

No need to comment about the camera being old and not worth repairing. I like it and am going to replace the mechanism myself. Just looking for any input from anyone who has attempted opening one of these up.

Some years ago I tore open my PD150 and repaired it.- but I had the service manual. Looking for one of those as well if anyone has a source for one.

Any who...if anyone feels like chiming in please do, however like I said no need to have a discussion on the fact that I am doing something that seems to make no sense.

Thanks
Kurt Franz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2023, 06:37 AM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Canon XLH1 Tape Transport Replacement

In the dim distant past Cannon would sell the FSMs for camcorders such as the A1Digital, L2, XL1, and GL1.

The XLH1 share form factor similarities with the earlier MiniDV XL1. I wonder if there is enough physical commonality that the (dis)assembly would be similar?
Old August 9th, 2023, 10:49 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Don-

Funny you mention that, I found the service manual for the XL1 which provided enough insight into it. Might not have to dig in too deply to get the job done. Thanks for responding.

I enjoy working with the old stuff as a hobby and since I have the Nanoflash I wanted the timecode to allow for using the onboard control on the camera to stop/start recording.
Kurt Franz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2023, 12:24 PM   #4
Wrangler

Fixing the old stuff. can be fun.

FWIW I have a complete parts for a HV20 HDV unit I'm looking to sell (it is listed on ebay). The firewire port in it died and camera became useless to me. I did open it up to look if it was fixable, but decided buying a HV40 was more efficient for my purposes. (I now have aged out of the repair small things ability so it is useless to me.)

I wonder if all the machines of that era used the same transport mechanism? If you know anyone who would be interested in it..
Old August 9th, 2023, 02:54 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I have an HV20 as well. A great little camera. Never thought about the transports being the same. ...
Kurt Franz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion