Need Close-up/Macro filter - 27 or 28mm thread at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 18th, 2023, 10:54 PM   #1
Major Player

Need Close-up/Macro filter - 27 or 28mm thread

Haven't been on the forum for a long time.

I use a trail camera for filming birds on my feeders. Trail cameras are not designed for filming birds and other small animals at close range, but this can be overcome by attaching macro/close-up filters to the lens. Until now I've been using 37mm Vivitar macro filters, which are relatively inexpensive and come as set of four (+1, +2, +4 and +10), attached to the lens housing with 25-37mm step ring. The housing has no filter threads, but the step-ring fits snugly over it.

However, I've just upgraded my camera to a solar powered model (Campark T300) and find that this configuration won't work. The IR sensor just below the lens is too proud and gets in the way. I've looked at using spacer rings and stacked step up rings to get around this but the only satisfactory solution would be a smaller filter - 28mm would be ideal, less than 27mm would vignette.

The only 27mm macro/close-up filters I've found thus far are made by Heliopan and they are quite pricey - $US 40 a piece at B&H and I'm in Canada, so factor in exchange and shipping. Plus, I'd need +2 and +1 strengths. So a rather expensive solution for a not so expensive camera.

Anyone know of cheaper alternatives?

Cheers.
Bryan Worsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2024, 04:34 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Need Close-up/Macro filter - 27 or 28mm thread

Found a set of vintage 27mm close-up filters (for Zeiss Ikon Contaflex film cameras) on EBay that work perfectly.

https://youtu.be/RP_5BpbKAr4?si=PF6qLZulwxYiy8Dv

Example test video:

https://youtu.be/rZ8tQ0L8DtM?si=S8vAWtc0iA1AyWXk

Links to more examples in the description under the first video.
Bryan Worsley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion