Suggestions to improve video quality? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 8th, 2005, 06:03 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Hello Joshua,

Very good decision to first try at least two shorts, you'll not regret it.
And I know what you think about not wanting to wait another year, and I understand that, but remember: all that time in a year can go in more practice, more writing, better writing, better results!
Good luck!
Best regards,
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2005, 07:09 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Josh,

These are all great pointers for you to begin in making a project "look" it's best. If you are wanting to get more into the narrative film aspect of video production then I would suggest learning everything you can from books, magazines, internet info sites like this one, etc... With that said I suggest you look at people. Everyone around you are in situations than can help you tell a story. Which brings up my next point. If you can tell a great story you are golden. "Filmmakers" often make the mistake of thinking that if their video is clean and steady, audio is crisp and clear, and actors nail their lines they have a good movie. You will NEVER go anywhere in the facet of video production unless you know the art of storytelling. Study that and go with your heart. Take chances while you still can. And heck, there are plenty of great films out there that are shot without a tripod ever being on set. If the story calls for it and this is a style that you like then go with your gut. Look at "Sidewalks of New York" or "Saving Private Ryan" or so on. Sure some of these budgets allow for steady cam shots. Look at it this way, if you want to shoot advertising or corporate video you "usually" will see proper angles, steady shots, perfect lighting, etc... If you want to make a piece of art you have to get a little messy.

BTW I think it's awesome that you are getting started so early in life.

GOOD LUCK!

http://www.southernwindsfilmfestival.com

http://www.phigmentphilms.com
James Bridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2005, 07:38 PM   #18
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere
Hello Joshua,

Very good decision to first try at least two shorts, you'll not regret it.
And I know what you think about not wanting to wait another year, and I understand that, but remember: all that time in a year can go in more practice, more writing, better writing, better results!
Good luck!
Best regards,
I've given thought to that as well, but another reason I want to do it this year is that when I apply to colleges next fall, I want them to see I have the experience of the mini-feature. I'm willing to sacrifice a little in the ways of video picture quality for the experience.

And James, I completely agree with you. I should clarify that my number one overall concern is the writing and acting, no doubt. I have been working on the screenplay since last May, and am putting finishing touches now. As much as I want it to "look" professional, I want the performances and writing to be more so.

I'm going to a meeting at the place where they rent equiptment. I just became a member, and new members are required to go to a meeting. I'm going check out the cameras and lighting they have. Will the Sony DSR PD150 Mini DV/Cam give me good results (both picture and sound wise), especially if I'm shooting outside?

Again, thanks for help, and I'm all ears for more advice.
Joshua Jezioro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2005, 10:30 AM   #19
Major Player

Joshua,

If the colleges care about your existing work at all, short films will be more than enough. One or two great short films will be far more valuable than a longer work of lesser quality.

Josh
Joshua Provost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2005, 10:38 AM   #20
Regular Crew

I agree, it would actually be better to have a few different shorts rather than a feature. This would show diversity and that you can direct more than one genre of film. Make 2 or three different genre shorts that will impress. One thing I've found is professors have an attention span of a 2 year old. No offense professors. But even they teach to grab attention fast and to not expect the audience just to hang in there with you hoping for something good to happen.

http://www.southernwindsfilmfestival.com

http://www.phigmentphilms.com
James Bridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2005, 04:52 PM   #21
New Boot

I agree, I plan on doing lots of shorts before college application time, but I also would like to do this one larger project.

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions!
Joshua Jezioro is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion