Teleprompter vs. Laptop at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 10th, 2005, 12:18 PM   #1

Teleprompter vs. Laptop

I need to get a Teleprompter. I've searched this forum and the most recent information I found spoke specifically about options availble from:
http://www.prompterpeople.com & http://www.ikancorp.com/pt1000.htm

I'll be using the Teleprompter along with a Reflecmedia LiteRing and Chromatte Fabric Studio setup. The placement of the LiteRing around the lens prohibits the use of most typical teleprompters that also fit over the camera lens.

The one from ikan (link above) is nice, but there are some features that would make it less than ideal (in my opinion) for my use:
-It's small size (readability from a distance).
-It mounts to the hotshoe and I already have a wireless mic mounted there.
-It needs to connect to a PC and I will already have my only PC (a Sony Vaio) running DV Rack and connected to my XL2.

Most of the other options I've seen are very large and bulky and are also pricey ($1,500 to $3,000+)

So I'm thinking about buying a 17" PowerBook and using this Mac software that I found (and did a trial download of) last night:
http://www.intellisw.com/intelliprom...FR8vSgod7Aj18g

I would then put the PowerBook on it's own stand next to the camera and use it as the teleprompter.

The big advantage to this set up would be having a PowerBook that could be used for numerous other things as well (too many items to list).

I figure the total cost would be probably somewhere around $3,500 to $4,000 (PowerBook, Intelliprompter software, and stand).

What do you think? and/or what solutions would you suggest?
Old December 10th, 2005, 06:54 PM   #2

I also just found this software, "Presentation Prompter," and it's only $65 for an individual license. There's a free demo (that I plan on trying to compare it to the option above).

http://www.nextforcesw.com/presentationprompter.html

Another route would be a 12-inch iBook + the above software = $1,064 + the cost of a stand, but you would have a fully functional iBook to use when you are not using the computer as a teleprompter.

EDIT - (... one hour later)
It's hard to believe PresentationPrompter is only $65. After using both, in my opinion, it's the better of the two programs and has many more options for editing and diplaying your text. I purchased it.

Last edited by Guest; December 11th, 2005 at 01:02 PM.
Old February 24th, 2006, 09:50 PM   #3
Barry Wan Kenobi

I've got one from PrompterPeople, and all I can say is that it is flat-out amazing considering the cost. At $795 (I think it was $795 at the time) for the DV-9, it's as good or better than most everyone else's small prompters, and those all seem to be $2500! Killer service too; I give PrompterPeople a high recommendation. Obviously try before you buy if at all possible, but I'm very happy with my mini DV-9 prompter from them.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 07:39 AM   #4
Major Player

If it's not something that will require a long speech, you might want to go with the paper method.

I've seen it on sale in a catalog. Markettek? Anyway, the cost was around $65-75 dollars. It attaches to the side of the camera and you clip your script on to it.

I'm sure you could probably build a quicky diy project with some hose clamps from a hardware store.

Either that, or have someone hold the piece of paper right next to the camera. Kinda like flipping the pages of a musical sheet for a piano player. :)
John Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2006, 01:05 PM   #5

I set my 17" MacBook Pro with Presentation Prompter right behind and above my HVX200. It worked well, but I've never been through any kind of training or had much practice on reading a prompter, so even though you could NOT see my eyes moving while I was reading the text, it came through a little monotone without much inflection or variations in my voice.

It hit me today that I should try KeyNote on my MacBook Pro instead. I think that's going to work the best, as the MacBook Pro comes with a remote that works for a pretty good distance. I can everything up the same way and just read my point with various speed and inflection this way. When I'm done with the sentence(s), I can just hit the right arrow button and onto the next slide with tne next point I need to read. - All on my own time without constant scrolling.

I think this is going to be the best solution, but will post back if I run into any roadblocks.

That little remote with the MacBook Pro is handy!
Old June 17th, 2006, 02:00 PM   #6
Inner Circle

you can build for cheap a good prompter with a laptop+8 or 10 inch vga screen (see liliput for cheap ones) and a piece of glass (one way mirror are great but usually with big loss of light).
at surplushed.com i even found a piece of glass made for heads up display (HUD) in jet fighters that is transparent and very reflective at the same time. costed me only few dollars.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion