How Bad Is Fake Widescreen On Consumer Cameras? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 21st, 2005, 08:00 PM   #16
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wisniewski
Yup, you're camcorder is recording anamorphic widescreen video. Now all you have to do is to format it properly for widescreen DVD output.

... basically tell your NLE/DVD creation software, that your video is anamorphic widescreen - fyi, your camcorder won't letterbox the anamorphic video for you, you'll have to burn it to a DVD or play it back on a computer or widescreen TV to see it displayed properly.

Visit our Premiere forum for assistance with your software.
Thank you so much Michael! :)
Mick Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 10:06 PM   #17
New Boot

I just thought of something right now. I'm able to turn on the "fake widescreen" as well as the stretch kind at the same time. Would this mean I could have a 2.35 image?
Mick Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 08:55 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wisniewski
If the image fills the screen but looks squished like an old spaghetti western, your camcorder is recording true anamorphic 16:9 video. If the image is letterboxed, then your camcorder is recording 4:3 letterboxed video.
This is not necessarily true. For example, the Sony DCR-TRV33 and Canon XL2 shoot true anamorphic 16:9, and will display the video in letterboxed format on their LCDs.

Also, note that the Canon XL2 uses true 16:9 CCDs.

Happy New Year!
Adam
Adam Woodworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 09:06 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Foley
I just thought of something right now. I'm able to turn on the "fake widescreen" as well as the stretch kind at the same time. Would this mean I could have a 2.35 image?
You mean cropping to 2.35?
You would loose much resolution... and with DV you haven't got much to even begin with...
But for watching on a usual television screen it can be enough.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 09:08 AM   #20
Inner Circle

"This is not necessarily true. For example, the Sony DCR-TRV33 and Canon XL2 shoot true anamorphic 16:9, and will display the video in letterboxed format on their LCDs."

Ditto for Optura 60.

"I just thought of something right now. I'm able to turn on the "fake widescreen" as well as the stretch kind at the same time. Would this mean I could have a 2.35 image?"

I experimented with this on our old GL1 and it does indeed seem to work, but keep in mind with the pronounced resolution loss that you get that a 2.35 image isn't going to look so hot. DV in general isn't real well suited to wide panoramas IMHO.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 09:37 AM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Leavitt
I experimented with this on our old GL1 and it does indeed seem to work, but keep in mind with the pronounced resolution loss that you get that a 2.35 image isn't going to look so hot. DV in general isn't real well suited to wide panoramas IMHO.
If one used an anamorphic adapter (one of those that attaches to the front of a camcorder lens) plus the camcorder's built in true ("stretch") widescreen mode you could get high quality 2.35. Of course the problem would come in editing such footage. I don't know that any of the prosumer apps would understand such footage to properly process it. Any text one added wouldn't look right, etc., unless you added it after the letterboxing process (you'd have to add the extra letterbox bars so that your 2.35 footage would play back properly from DVD).
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 08:01 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Hello

can the FX1/Z1 be up scale to 35mm without loss? also are these cams true widescreen? how can you tell?
Jim Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 08:30 PM   #24
Wrangler

By definition, high definition is widescreen (16:9). It should be a safe assumption that any camera which shoots HD (Sony HC1, A1, FX1, Z1, Canon XLH1, JVC HD10, HD100, Panasonic DVX200) all have native widescreen chips.

Look at the aspect ratio that they work in:

1920/1080 = 1.778
1280/72 = 1.778
16/9 = 1.778

Not really sure what you mean by "upscaling to 35mm without a loss"...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 09:22 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainslie Davies
If you are going to film then maybe your camera is true 16:9??? If not then the image produced by the camera may not be up to the massive scaling to 35mm
was quoting the last bit in this post
Jim Rog is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion