Setup for a possible step-show gig at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 3rd, 2003, 09:01 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Setup for a possible step-show gig

Hello everyone and Happy New Year!

I am being contracted to videotape a college step show for a sorority and will soon be talking with the person in charge of this event. What are some questions that I should ask her to help with my video camera setup?? (besides the obvious, like whether it is indoor/outdoor, low light/bright)
Any tips on how to shoot such an event would be greatly appreciated also..
Jean King
Jean King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2003, 09:06 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Jean

That's what I would ask:

- Are you allowed to go on the stage?
- How high is the stage-ground?
- How long will the show be (for tapes and batteries)?
- Will there be a break (so you can move to another position)?

Watching the whole stage will get boring, so film also the feet and single actors. Move along the stage (perhaps with a dolly).

Hope this helps a bit,
Old January 3rd, 2003, 09:09 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Follow-up

Oops!! I forgot to mention I will be shooting with a Canon GL2..
Jean King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2003, 09:48 AM   #4
Regular Crew

And try to get their show-plan so you won't miss an important part or moment of the show.
Old January 3rd, 2003, 10:11 AM   #5
Major Player

If at all possible use at least two cameras. If need be rent a second, set it up on a tripod zoomed as close as possible on the stage with a friend standing by to make sure no one bumps it (or walks away with it.) The second camera will give you the establishing shots and cutaways while you are changing position with your main camera.

If practical try to arrange to plug the second camera's mike into the soundboard. You may need to buy a run of XLR cable. It is also handy to have a 1/2 adapter in case the board doesn't have a spare XLR out. Be sure to check levels during the sound check. DV has an unforgiving ceiling so adjust your camera or the sound board feed as necessary. Capture ambient sound on your main camera. Mixing the ambient and the sound from the board gives a nice "real" feeling when you edit the tapes.

Attend the rehersal if possible and get as familiar as possible with the program. If you know what is coming you will have a much better feel for where you want your camera pointing when.

Get as many varied shots with your main camera as possible. Close-ups of feet, faces, hands, and so forth. If your second camera is framed on the stage you can still get good side shots from the wings or ground without crossing over into the other cameras view.

Once you have all the footage, sync the two or more tapes and cut back and forth between the wide and close shots as indicated.

Hope this helps.

Rick
Rick Spilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2003, 08:14 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks, guys

Hey everyone,
Thanks for all the posts!! I am certainly assured of having a decent shoot with the information received :-)
Jean
Jean King is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion