Feature Filmmaking: Camera Choice (rent) - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 30th, 2006, 11:08 PM   #31
Major Player

In terms of cameras, F900 is a Sony Camera and the format it records in is CineAlta. The Varicam is from Panasonic and uses DVCProHD as its format.
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 12:17 AM   #32
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

"from what I've read is that most distributors want to hear that an indie movie was shot on 35mm,"

most distributors don't know a hit movie from a looser . they tend to follow with what was a hit in the past.. very few distributors are leaders. remember when they rattle off 35mm , known actors etc that is the top of their WISH list ... bottom line for distribuotr is can they make $$$ off a project. if they think they can make $$$ it doesn't matter what it was shot on .. if they don't think they can make $$$ then 70mm/35mm isn't going to make any difference = they ain't buying it ...
in the film business you've got to walk your own walk and talk your own talk = make YOUR film !!! get it out there with the means you have ...
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 12:26 PM   #33
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Andren
Thank you one and all for the education on HD vs. HDV.

Charles: Session 9 was shot on a F900? Is this the camera also known as the Varicam? I read that the movie was shot on a CineAlta. Or is that and the F900 the same thing?
Looks like Andrew has taken care of this one nicely.

Quote:
What has your DP friend done since then?
Uta Briesewitz--check her out on IMDB.

Quote:
When you say "film out technology" is that the same as transferring tape to film for theatrical release?
Yes. This process continues to evolve; I did a filmout about 5 years ago that was primitive by today's standards, visually speaking.

Quote:
Finally, when shooting a feature like this with an HD camera, what does the camera crew consist of? DP, operator, focus puller, and who else? Was a video tech/engineer on site to assist?
There wasn't a tech on "Session 9" that I can remember, and every shoot has it's own staffing. To the list you describe I'd generally add a 2nd assistant. Unfortunately a lot of non-union shows eliminate the operator position which is more important than ever with HD; I had to work this way last year on an HD feature and I really missed having an operator.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 10:52 PM   #34
New Boot

Thanks again guys

Thanks Andrew for clarifying cameras, and thanks Charles for answering my questions. Thanks Don for your observations about distribution, which I agree with, and for your inspiring last line.
Robert Andren is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion