24 frame progressive scanning at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 6th, 2006, 06:51 AM   #1
Major Player

24 frame progressive scanning

What exactly does that mean? I know it is supposed to make video look more film like but not sure if my camera uses it automatically, or if I should put it in or at what cost. (I have the Sony HDR-FX1 e)

Also, because I am in europe and using pal (25 fps) will there be any differences that I should know about?

Thanks for all help
Chris Westerstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 07:39 AM   #2
Wrangler

The FX1 doesn't do progressive scanning, so you can't "put it in." I believe that your PAL model will have something called "cineframe 25" whereas the NTSC models have cf24 and cf30. These are an approximation of progressive scan, but some resolution will be lost. For more info see the following: http://www.adamwilt.com/HDV/cineframe.html

But the general idea with 24 frame progressive (24p) is that it's similar to film which is shot at 24 frames per second.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 11:54 AM   #3
Major Player

Also, there is an important difference between a 24P image and a 24 frame per second interlaced image. The FX1 only shots an interlaced picture. Even though the CineFrame options do shoot in a framerate of 24 fps or 30 fps (or even 25 fps if we're speaking PAL) it still isn't a progressive image. A progressive image will always have more resolution than an interlaced image. It will also have a different look to it. I can switch to 30P mode on my camera and it will yield a different looking image than a 60i image. Just some information I thought might be useful in this discussion.
Mike Oveson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion