Delay live video by about 5 minutes? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 11th, 2006, 02:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Delay live video by about 5 minutes?

Ok, here I am again looking for that special, magic box.

We film cheerleading competitions, and we normally run a line out from our XL2 to a plasma out in the lobby where the cashiers are at so people can order the DVD.

What we want to do, is run the BNC cable from the XL2 to this magic box that delays the video by about 5 minutes, then feeds it to our plasma. So that by the time the team has finished competing and makes it to the lobby, they can watch themselves on the plasma.

Anyone know of any such device?
Brian Farris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 02:43 PM   #2
Major Player

wonder if you could use a tivo of some sorts for this as a low cost solution
Old February 11th, 2006, 07:40 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hmm... I'm looking for an automatic solution. Kinda like something with some sort of memory that caches the video for 5 minutes before it is fed out again.
Old February 12th, 2006, 06:46 AM   #4
Major Player

do a search on video delay.

Most of them are less than 1 second but there are solutions that go a lot longer

here is an example

http://www.primeimageinc.com/D1_Pipeline_spec.htm
Old February 12th, 2006, 07:54 AM   #5
Hellgate Pictures, Inc.

A video delay will not do what you need. It is designed for a different purpose. Sounds like you will have to record the image and play them back more manual than automatic.
Walter Graff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 08:02 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Graff
A video delay will not do what you need. It is designed for a different purpose. Sounds like you will have to record the image and play them back more manual than automatic.
Walter

Why not ?

Video delay equipment is used in professional productions to delay video to allow real time editing for profanity. The video signal is delayed by a few seconds so any profanity can be edited out similar to the delay used in radio stations as well
Old February 12th, 2006, 08:05 AM   #7
Major Player

Here is another example

http://www.hotronics.com/al86.htm
Old February 12th, 2006, 08:34 AM   #8
Hellgate Pictures, Inc.

Because a video delay is not designed to store an entire performance then play it back five minutes later. It is designed to deal with systems where audio and video need to be synced due to cable runs, equipment delays, etc. While there is equipment that does what he needs, it would be cost prohibitive as it is more custom. The easiest thing to do is hire a person with a deck, record the routine, then play it back at a predetermined time.
Old February 12th, 2006, 09:57 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Buffering six seconds for broadcast is one thing, buffering five minutes is quite a bit more data.

TIVO is essentially a recording device, that records and buffers simultaneously. This is the only thing I can think of that MIGHT be able to do what he is asking, for a reasonable price. I don't own TIVO, and I'm not sure it can take a direct line-in feed from a video source. But if it does, then that would be the ticket.

Checking the PDF located here http://www.tivo.co.uk/AppendixA.pdf

It seems it will only handle an RF signal. Not the best choice.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 03:15 PM   #10
New Boot

Delay live video by about 5 minutes

I have a Panasonic hard drive and DVD RAM recorder which I can set up to record a transmitted programme (for example 9pm till 10pm) if I'm out and unlikely to get back in time to watch it. If I get back at (for example 9:15pm) I can simply press play and it will play back from the beginning of the programme at 9pm whilst continuing to record the rest of the programme; the function is called "chasing play". In other words it time shifts trhe programme by any amount you like; a really convenient feature. It also has a firewire in socket plus SVHS and I'm not sure if you could simply start recording from the camcorder on one of those inputs and "Chase Play"by pressing the play button a few minutes later. I can't see a technical reason why not although I've never actually tried it. It may not be possible because the manufacturors have not recognised the need, but if you have such a deck (or Know someone who does) it may be worth exploring.

Richard Rouillard
Richard Rouillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 05:11 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Graff
Because a video delay is not designed to store an entire performance then play it back five minutes later. It is designed to deal with systems where audio and video need to be synced due to cable runs, equipment delays, etc. While there is equipment that does what he needs, it would be cost prohibitive as it is more custom. The easiest thing to do is hire a person with a deck, record the routine, then play it back at a predetermined time.
Walter

there are two different types of video delay equipment. One is what you seem to know about (video delay lines). These are as you mentioned used to sync and generally only work in mili or nanoseconds.

The other type is exactly what i described. A device that records video to solid state or disk and then replays at a specific delay. This is the one you probably havent seen yet.

BTW there is no need to record the whole performance. You may know about Tivo which is essentialyl the same type of device. You can record and while recording at the same time replay from any point while the recording is still running.
Old February 12th, 2006, 05:25 PM   #12
Hellgate Pictures, Inc.

Michael, I believe you first pointed to a video delay and said certainly they must make one that can record longer. I can suggest some recorders we use in sports that do that but the set up would be far beyond his needs. Simplest method is to record it on tape (even VHS will be fine), and then play it back.
Old February 12th, 2006, 07:22 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Thanks for the suggestions. This got me thinking though...

Would it be possible to have a computer set up that had a TV tuner card in it, then have a coaxial cable running from the XL2 to the computer and have the computer output to the plasma screen, and have it be recording, then after 5 minutes, tell it to play back what it just recorded while recording?

One thing I'm conserned about it is how will the tuner card treat the signal coming from the XL2? Does the tuner card look for some kind of cable service/antenna tv signal? Would I have to find some way to make the signal think it is being run through a certain channel, like have it run through an RF modulator and tell the tuner to record channel 3 or 4?

Also, since it is constantly recording, could we just use a stock 100gb HD in there and after a certain point, it overwrites what it had previously recorded once it records a certain amount? I only say this because these events can last up to 10 hours at a time.

Has anyone run a setup remotely similar to what I'm looking for?

Thanks.
Old February 12th, 2006, 10:29 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Brian,

what would perfectly for you would be this.

use a computer that has an ATI TV Wonder card, or an All-In-Wonder Radeon video card, these have tv built in (this is what i have)

ATI includes a software program called 'ATI TV' along with this card, and it includes 'TV-on-demand', although it is designed for attenna/cable tv, you can switch the input mode in 'ATI TV' to the S-video or composite input on the card. I just tried this and it works.

Input your feed into the computer, enable TV-on-demand, and now you can slide the bar anywhere in your recording, as it continues to record. do all this while in the full-screen video mode, or if you have dual-monitor support, you can show the display on the second monitor or tv
Jay Cowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 09:54 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Well, we really need to use coax for the connection from the camera to the computer, since the camera will normally be ~100ft from the plasma screen. I dunno if S-video has that capability/low cost.
Brian Farris is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion