Portable distribution methods forum? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 13th, 2006, 05:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Portable distribution methods forum?

DV folks,

I am posting here because I don't know where else to post. In the DV forum, is there a catagory for the different types of end user distribution, for example
iPod, Sony PlayStation, or even cell phones? The reason I ask, is that I'm of the older generation yet I work with lots of Gen X & Y'ers who have video iPod's. From what I understand, the only method of getting video to these units is via Apple iTunes. Apparently if you have an iPod, and you wish to view full length TV shows/movies, you need to pay extra for "converter" software from Apple? Anyhow, some of my younger friends use freeware but this allows viewing of 4 minute clips (or less) only. Do these issues exist for other portable media? Just curious.

TIA, Paul C.
Paul Carlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 05:23 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Interesting concept. Normally I won't start a new board without plenty of pre-existing threads, but we could fold this into our DVD & Web Video Delivery forum (simply by re-naming that board). Who here is interested?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 02:40 PM   #3
Trustee

hi paul, the apple video ipod spec is for the h.264 and mpeg4 codecs, it doesn't matter what encoder is used to create the file... i did it with the nero h.264 encoder, uploaded the file to my website, and someone out here downloaded it to an ipod, no problems... it was pretty recent, so you should be able to find the thread with a search.

maybe it was on the dvd/web video forum?

make it so, chris! you got my vote, fwiw, lol.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 06:04 PM   #4
Regular Crew

re: distrib methods

Chris,

You have my vote also!

Dan, yes I became aware that iPod's utilize mpeg4 codecs however apparently Apple has a vested interest in controlling some content and those co-workers of mine that have iPod's seem to believe that they "must" go through the iTunes web space to download content. I can't verify this. Anyhow, I should think that any mpeg4 rendered video would play and all you'd have to do is download it from any web page. Paul
Paul Carlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 12:12 PM   #5
Trustee

i left the ipod h.264 video clip up on my site, so if you can find the thread, you can have your friends download it themselves.

i believe that apple does have some digital rights management going on with the itunes content, which may be why they got the notion that the only place they could get content is on apple's website... the truth is that ipods should play any non-drm content that is within the video/audio spec, regardless of where you sourced the files.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 12:15 PM   #6
Major Player

I'm the one who tested Dan's video, and it did get to my iPod through iTunes. I downloaded it to my hard drive, imported it to my iTunes library, and then synched my iPod.

However, if you want to view an iPod compaitble video outside of the iTunes/iPod combination they'll play in the latest version of QuickTime just fine.
Kris Holodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 12:41 PM   #7
Major Player

Chris -- if you don't find a place for these kind of topics now, you'll definitely find yourself needing one eventually! :)

It is probably best served by the DVD and Web forum, since much of the content is available via the web.

More importantly, as we all know, is the fact that -- like HD -- this is a technology that networks, freelancers and amateurs will all be using more and more often.

Shooting and encoding for iPods, PSPs (my personal favorite) and other mobile devices is definitely a creature unto itself. Many of the rules of shooting/encoding for web delivery still apply, but the use of proprietary formats makes it a little more difficult. The iPod and the PSP both use the MPEG4 codec, but apply it in individual, proprietary ways. And while you do need iTunes to get data onto an iPod, you only need a USB cable to transfer files to the PSP.

As mentioned before, the free version of Quicktime will play m4v video files encoded for the iPod. I do not even own an iPod, but I have successfully bought and watched music videos and TV shows from Apple's iTunes store.

Personally, as I've mentioned before, the one thing that really excites me about the PSP is the factthat you can download content directly to the device, no PC or cables necessary. It has built-in 802.11b wifi and a built-in web browser. So any site with PSP-formatted video can be accessed directly from the PSP from any wifi hotspot, allowing you to download the videos and watch them (sort of) immediately. I've even encoded some of the videos on my own site to the PSP-spec mp4 format.

So, yes, you have my vote also :) (Even though it's been awhile since I was a regular here!)
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 10:24 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Chris,

I agree. I don't think there's a need for a separate forum. The DVD & Web Video Delivery forum renamed (to include HD-DVD and BluRay eventually) sounds fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Carlberg
iPod, Sony PlayStation... From what I understand, the only method of getting video to these units is via Apple iTunes
Paul,

FYI Sony Vegas 6.0d has the Sony AVC/AAC encoder with templates for PSP format output and the Mainconcept AVC/AAC encoder with a template for iPod output. I think other NLEs will follow (if they haven't already done so).
Dionyssios Chalkias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 10:29 AM   #9
Major Player

mobile devices area

Chris,

And I'll add my 2 cents for including mobile devices to the dvd and web forum. People are going to be talking about this more and more and it will be good to know where to look for those conversations.

Smile,
Kris
Kris Holodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 11:16 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionyssios Chalkias
Chris,

I agree. I don't think there's a need for a separate forum. The DVD & Web Video Delivery forum renamed (to include HD-DVD and BluRay eventually) sounds fine.

Paul,

FYI Sony Vegas 6.0d has the Sony AVC/AAC encoder with templates for PSP format output and the Mainconcept AVC/AAC encoder with a template for iPod output. I think other NLEs will follow (if they haven't already done so).
Also, the latest Nero 6.x update, as well as 7, will convert to PSP-spec mp4. Dan, of course, also mentioned that it will encode for iPod as well.

There is also freeware, such as PSP Video 9 for the PSP, and Videora for the iPod, that you can use to encode your videos for these players. I believe both of these encoders are made/distributed by the same group.
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 04:16 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Britt
There is also freeware, such as PSP Video 9 for the PSP, and Videora for the iPod, that you can use to encode your videos for these players. I believe both of these encoders are made/distributed by the same group.
Thanks for mentioning those programs. I hadn't known about them. For those interested, you can download them from the Videora Web site. They also have free converters there for the TiVo and XBox360.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 06:00 PM   #12
Major Player

Thanks for posting the links, Christopher! I was being lazy this afternoon and didn't bother to look them up myself. :)

By the way, I've used PSP Video 9 and liked it fine enough, but typically use Nero for PSP encoding. This is largely because when format shifting my personal DVDs, Nero natively recognizes whole movies and individual episodes (when it some to TV programs). PSP Video 9 does offer an wide variety of encoding options, though.
John Britt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion