"Cartoonizing" DV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 28th, 2006, 05:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

"Cartoonizing" DV

How do I create cartoon-like images such as AMC's Clint Eastwood festival promo from DV footage on my iMac?

Thanks for your help!

Dorothy
Dorothy Engleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 05:52 PM   #2
Major Player

If your video editor has a "water color" effect, try messing around a bit with it.
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 06:12 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Finton
If your video editor has a "water color" effect, try messing around a bit with it.
Hi Stephen,

Thanks! I have iMovie. Is there a specific cartoonizing program which transforms DV into a realistic cartoon image with the black borders?

Dorothy
Old February 28th, 2006, 06:35 PM   #4
Major Player

If you have Final Cut Pro, you could try a program like Video Gogh from RE:Vision Effects, Inc. (I tried it before on an older PC and it was painfully slow --- but there is a lot to do!)
(http://www.revisionfx.com/videogogh.htm)

If you have access to a PC, you could try the VirtualDub MSU Cartoonizer Filter. (http://www.compression.ru/video/cart.../index_en.html)

Or try a Wacom graphics tablet and pen and trace over all the original images like the folks making A Scanner Darkly. ;-)

There is probably something better out there... but I don't know what it is. :-)
John McManimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 06:39 PM   #5
Trustee

Search for "Waking Life" and "cel animation". Here's a useful article: http://digitalproducer.com/articles/...e.jsp?id=25687

Those MSU researchers are a real asset to the community, offering their work for free.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 06:53 PM   #6
Major Player

You could also export frames as separate images and batch convert them in a photo program such as shown here with Gimp (this looks great) and then import back into a video project:

http://blogs.linux.ie/xeer/2004/10/0...with-the-gimp/
John McManimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 08:46 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McManimie
You could also export frames as separate images and batch convert them in a photo program such as shown here with Gimp (this looks great) and then import back into a video project:

http://blogs.linux.ie/xeer/2004/10/0...with-the-gimp/

Thanks to all for your suggestions! John, I think what AMC did was to cartoonize frame grabs of Clint Eastwood. They were richer and more saturated than the Gimp example. I wish I knew how AMC did this promo. Really splendid effects~!

Dorothy
Old February 28th, 2006, 09:16 PM   #8
Major Player

Dorothy, if you are using iMovie HD-5 (not 6, meaning from iLife '06) go to a website called imovieplugins.com. Click on the "plug-ins" link then the "cf/x effects" link. Then click on the "special fx" link. On the left of the new page there is a column. Select edge detect/pencil and it will show you something that may be at least close to what you're looking for. I've used it and it's pretty slick. Peace.
Eric Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 10:57 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Brown
Dorothy, if you are using iMovie HD-5 (not 6, meaning from iLife '06) go to a website called imovieplugins.com. Click on the "plug-ins" link then the "cf/x effects" link. Then click on the "special fx" link. On the left of the new page there is a column. Select edge detect/pencil and it will show you something that may be at least close to what you're looking for. I've used it and it's pretty slick. Peace.
Eric, thank you, this is too cool! Can't wait to try it. Bless your cotton socks!! Dorothy
Old March 1st, 2006, 07:17 AM   #10
Regular Crew

There is a series of commercials that has been airing lately that has cartoonized the actors. I think it's for an insurance company. I don't know if it's nationally or regionally.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 07:28 AM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory
There is a series of commercials that has been airing lately that has cartoonized the actors. I think it's for an insurance company. I don't know if it's nationally or regionally.
I know the commercials you speak of. They are for an investment company. The Kodak Easy Share software that came with my wife's digital still cam has that same effect for stills. Was thinking of doing a short sequence using that effect.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 07:31 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Insurance, investments....I knew it had something to do with paying in alot of money and never seeing it again! Haha!! :O
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 08:09 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston
I know the commercials you speak of. They are for an investment company. The Kodak Easy Share software that came with my wife's digital still cam has that same effect for stills. Was thinking of doing a short sequence using that effect.
Haven't tried it with EasyShare, but every time I do it with PSP + Virtual Painter, the "drawing" is too randomized to look good as a film sequence. Jumps all over the place. :(

Even just doing a "contour" effect, the motion is annoyingly busy.
Daniel J. Wojcik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 02:46 PM   #14
Major Player

I've seen the ads and I got curious about this so I decided to give it a try. The result is at:

http://www.arbourmedia.com/media/Cartoony.mov

About a 14 second clip.

I did it by:

1) exporting an image sequence from FCP into a folder.

2) Set up Photoshop CS to do a batch action from the folder to a new folder. For the test I just used the watercolor filter.

3) Imported the images in the second folder into After Effects as an image sequence.

4) Rendered the sequence.

5) Compressed it in QuickTime to .H264

Takes some time and some disk space. Works rather well.
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 03:20 PM   #15
Major Player

Here's a version using the Photoshop poster filter that is closer to the AMC Eastwood effect.

http://www.arbourmedia.com/media/Cartoony2.mov
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion