Canon ZR40 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 22nd, 2003, 01:19 PM   #1
Neal Colingham

Cannon ZR40

I really want to buy a ZR40 for the analog/digital pass through. I have a Hi8 analog Sony and lot's of 8mm tape. I use Mac's so the firewire conection is great. My question is on allot of the reviews of these camcorders there are complaints about ambient noise from the motor permeating the recording. Is this true and would an external Mic fix this problem. I don't want to spend more that $500.00.
Thanks Neal
Old January 22nd, 2003, 04:39 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

This complaint is valid, however it is important that you understand that this particular issue is common to *all* entry-level DV camcorders in this price range, not just the Canon ZR40. Any other make or model in this category will suffer from tape transport/zoom motor noise. It's not particular to the ZR40 or even Canon in general. The good news is that unlike some other similarly priced camcorders, there is indeed a mic input jack on the Canon ZR series. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2003, 12:27 PM   #3
Major Player

I have the ZR45MC and yes the complaint is real, and while it may be common on many or all entry cameras, I think it is more pronounced on the Canon ZR line, also note Canon replaced the ZR line now I beleive it is the 60, 65 and 70 now.
Keith Luken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2003, 12:51 PM   #4
Major Player

Re: Cannon ZR40

<<<-- Originally posted by Neal Colingham : I really want to buy a ZR40 for the analog/digital pass through. I have a Hi8 analog Sony and lot's of 8mm tape. I use Mac's so the firewire conection is great. My question is on allot of the reviews of these camcorders there are complaints about ambient noise from the motor permeating the recording. Is this true and would an external Mic fix this problem. I don't want to spend more that $500.00.
Thanks Neal -->>>

I've got a ZR20 and this is definitely noticeable. If you're recording on city streets with lots of ambient noise around you it's no problem, but in a quiet area you can definitely hear it. I've found I can get rid of most of it with a lowpass audio filter, but of course the sound quality suffers a bit. An external mic is definitely a good idea, even if you just mount it to the hot shoe on the top of the camera.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion