DV editing workstation - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 23rd, 2002, 11:13 AM   #61
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Graphics Guy: iMovie: "it's pretty cheezy but very easy". You'd better copyright that before Mr. Jobs does!

Actually, as GG noted, iMovie can be very handy for quick an' dirty work such as assembling test/demo shoots. What I've found it -really- handy for is capturing clips from tapes that have -ahem- time code breaks. iMovie automatically separates clips according to the roll start/stop detection on the tape. It also -overlooks- any breaks in time code that it encounters (i.e. it's doofus-proof). Once the clips have been captured they can easily be moved directly into a FCP project since they're native DV files.

Lastly, iMovie can still do one task that FCP cannot: render in the background. I really expected this feature to be incorporated into FCP 3, particularly on the OS 10.1 (Unix) version. But, alas, not yet.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2002, 11:27 AM   #62
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Zimvg304 : I think I'll get the power book 550MHz 512MB Ram 30 hard drive.
So once I decide to get the Final Cut Pro 3, I'll just have to down load the software? No cards? -->>>

No cards. Nothin' Last night I edited a few scenes in a Mac laptop, not even the newest and fastest. Input via firewire, edit, color correct, even out audio levels, preview and output via firewire to MiniDV and/or the Internet, Cd-ROm, whatever.

It was my first experience with FCP3 - it wasn't my system so I can't get into details. We had the Avid MC1000 all fired up to edit the same material. It was our assistant editor who had the laptop and didn't need to persuade me to go the FCP3 way. I don't think it would have gone as smoothly and as quickly. All I can say is it did the job fast and well.
Old January 23rd, 2002, 04:49 PM   #63
Machinist Mate

KT--Good point about the time code breaks...although I don't know anybody who shoots tapes w/TC breaks, do you? </grin>*

That start/stop detection is different than in FCP (probably is the reason why it tolerates TC anomalies) in that it creates a separate media file for each scene, unlike FCP which simply creates markers at the start/stop points.

BTW, I tried importing/opening iMovie clips into FCP, and while it accepted them it wanted to render everything cuz I'm told iM uses a different codec???

Hey, great news Ozzie! Life is good, it would appear! It's a whole new day!

* Actually that is why to this day I continue to ignore the advice of those who say not to pre-black your tapes, which they taught me to do without fail at the Community TV channel. I use my little Elura with the A/V jacks disconnected to lay down a break-free stripe on each new tape before going out on a critical shoot.
Old January 23rd, 2002, 08:33 PM   #64
Regular Crew

I'm using FCP 2.0 on my ancient B&W G3 400. It's very stable, and with the FCP keyboard (I have the EZ board) I am able to work quickly and intuitively. The big hangup, of course, is the rendering time. I do a lot of sharpening and color correction to my XL1 footage (with great results). But rendering can take so long it's best to just do it while I'm sleeping or off running errands (I work at home). I'm really looking forward to upgrading to a G5 and FCP 3.0. With OS X, the rendering bottleneck should widen appreciably. My thought is before long FCP should become real-time capable. Remember it's only been out about 3 years!
Old January 23rd, 2002, 08:49 PM   #65
Major Player

How about the Matrox RT MAC? Does that take care of the rendering issue? Does it enhance Ver. 3.0?

I spent more time running through the DVCreator tutorial CD for familiarization last night--I'm getting pumped about making the transition to FCP from my present editing program. It seems like it should be a relatively painless transition.

Vic
Vic Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2002, 09:54 PM   #66
Regular Crew

With the set up I have the RT MAC would definitely help. However, you still have to render your final output to tape. Actually RT MAC is rapidly being outmoded with FCP 3.0 and ever faster PowerMacs and OS X, which gives a big boost to dual processor machines. Since the new top of the line iMAC is rated at 800 mhz, almost as fast as the 867 mhz Powermac tower, the new G5's should really offer a big speed boost! I had planned to get a ProMax RT MAX board, which ProMax dropped when Apple's strategy with FCP and faster PowerMacs became apparent.
Old January 24th, 2002, 09:43 AM   #67
Machinist Mate

"...cheezy but very easy"...lyrics to my new rap tune: "Get Down With FCP-Yeah You Know Me" by Migga Buzzla.

The other day I sent a tape I had just shot over to one of my IT boys for him to edit quick'n'dirty...I was pretty busy and feeling kind o' lazy and we needed to get this promptly "posted and posted " (post-production done and a streaming video posted up on the web) so he used "cheezy-easy" software--

Come to find out, there was one section where one of the talent was done speaking and left the stage, he walked out of the area still miked up with his wireless, and when he got out of range, that channel of my receiver started picking up static until I heard it on the "cans" and hurriedly switched that channel off. Well, it would have been easy to pot down that section of that track in FCP, but my dawg had a problem cuz his timeline did not put discrete tracks up for each stereo channel. Ooops-upside yo' head!

Oh well, it's always something!
Old January 24th, 2002, 11:01 AM   #68
Major Player

Ok I'm thinking about getting the PowerBook 550Mhz G4 with the 30 GB Hard drive 512 RAM 16 MB video memeory, that should get me by for now. But the question I have is on Final Cut Pro under technical specifications, it says the requirements are :
300 Mhz or faster G3 or G4 processor.
500 Mhz or faster single processor or Powerbook G4 required for G4 realtime effects.
667 Mhz Powerbook G4 required for Mobil G4 realtime effects in DV format.

I'm no sure what they mean about the Mobil G4 ? I just want to be able to plug my XL-1s into the computer. Will the Powerbook I listed above run Final cut pro using the XL?

And if for some reason I have to go cheaper would a iBook 600Mhz 640 Ram run final cut pro? I noticed that iBook has 8MB video memory and the PowerBook has 16MB. Is that a problem running this system.

But if I can swing it I will go with the PowerBook
If anyone wants to look at those requirements for Final Cut Pro it's at, http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/specs.html
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2002, 02:37 PM   #69
Machinist Mate

OK guys, try this one on...my last post started me thinking about another situation...kind of just the reverse of my friend's proble, I can't seem to find anything in the FCP manual that tells me how to do this: I have two tracks of audio from the capture, basically the same as before, one wireless mic per channel, and I have Left and Right tracks. I want to be able to melt these down into a single track -after doing my level adjustments-so that I have ONE dialogue track, nailed down and monophonic. Whatever I do with the "pan" & "spread" controls still leaves two discrete audio tracks. I want it down to one, upon which I can "ride" gain, etc. and then if i want to add other tracks, be it music, voiceover, it's ok to me if they are in stereo. Is there a way to do this? Do I have to render the file, export it and combine the channels in analogue? Do I have to take the audio tracks out to Soundedit 16 and mix it there and re-import it, having to worry about lip-sync?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion