Panasonic PV-DV53 and USB at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 20th, 2006, 07:08 AM   #1
Tourist

Panasonic PV-DV53 and USB

My Panasonic PV-DV53 came with a firewire cord and I want to get a USB cord for it. Is it possible? Where do I get a USB cord for it?
Matt Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 11:52 AM   #2
Trustee

Hi Matt,
Reading the technical specs online for your model camera indicates that the camera does have a USB port, but just in case you are not aware, you will not be able to transfer the full-resolution dv signal to your computer through that port using any of the standard editing applications that I know of due to the extremely low transfer speed of USB. Although some apps MAY recognize the USB, it will literally take you DAYS to transfer the full dv signal through it.

Typically, the USB port would be used transfer the still pictures from the camcorder, or also for low-res web streaming stuff. According to the tech specs, it looks like this model saves the digital stills to the tape (at 640 x 480) rather than to a dedicated SD or CF card etc), so I am not sure what the method would be to pull the stills off, but would assume that the camcorder came with requisite software that would do this. The models I own save stills to memory cards, but I have never used such a feature as the resolution of the stills is quite poor in my opinion, so I take stills from dedicated still shot cameras.

You should be able to pick up the correct cable from any big box electronics outlet like Best Buy or CompUSA, Frys, etc... It is usually the same type of miniUSB to USB cable that comes with most models of digital still cameras.
Old March 20th, 2006, 12:21 PM   #3
Trustee

Just buy a Firewire card. They cost $20 these days.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 01:18 PM   #4
Major Player

You need a miniUSB to USB cable. You can order a replacement from Panasonic if you can't find a suitable one at a local computer store.

My DV953 came with a USB cable and no Firewire cable. Look closely to make sure you aren't confusing them. The DV port is underneath the handstrap and the USB port is on the front left of the lens.

Jonathan is right that you can't transfer video over USB from the DV953. It has a 12 Mbps USB 2 port. However, you can transfer stills and use the cam for a webcam using the USB port. You will need a driver for the USB and for webcam. If you don't have the CD that came with the camcorder, you can download the drivers from the Panasonic Customer Service website, or buy the CD from their parts webpage.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion