Running Long Cable at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 20th, 2006, 09:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Running Long Cable

If I needed to run a BNC cable for say, 600 ft from a camera to a dv deck that would record the footage...how would I go about that? Do I need to amplify the signal or is this even possible?

Thanks

Rick
Rick Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 08:46 AM   #2
Major Player

if you use high grade cable that is intended for long runs, you should be fine. I'm not sure if you'llneed a distribution amp or not, but I've run BNC for 300 feet and it looks fine, the key is to use good cable.
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 11:05 AM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks andrew,

Any suggestions for where to look for high end cables? Do you know how long they make them?

Rick
Old March 21st, 2006, 11:10 AM   #4
Major Player

pretty much any professional audio/video supplier should have them and they are usually sold in bulk (1000ft) which is good because you need a lot. Your best bet is to use BNC cable and just adapt the ends to whatever you need. 2 brands we've used around our building are Delco and Canare and both have excellent reputations (but I don't know if I spelled either correctly, but I'll double check it for you).
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 04:27 PM   #5
Major Player

Bes sure to obtain 75 ohm cable and that the shield has a high percentage coverage to prevent noise pickup and radiation.
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 05:08 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks guys...lets say I get the 75ohm top of the line cable that runs 600 or 1000 feet. How much quality loss am I going to get? Is it going to look drastically different than a capture to tape?

I'm broadcasting this over the internet so it gets huge compression anyway. Do you guys have a feel for how bad this is going to be?

Rick
Old March 21st, 2006, 07:40 PM   #7
Major Player

The problem with runs as long as 1000 feet is that losses are going to be pretty hefty at the higest video frequencies. A good RG-59 cable (double shield, 98% coverage, 0.313" OD) is rated at 12 dB loss for 1000 feet at 20 MHz. At 6 MHz that implies a loss of about 6.6 dB which means over half the signal voltage but only 3 db (30% voltage loss) at 1 MHz. This "tilt" may result in some problems with the received signal. It is usual in cases where a long run is required to modulate the signal on a carrier so that this tilt is eliminated. You will just have to experiment to see what he capabilities of your recorder are. It may have automatic gain adjustment and and equalizer (less likely) and do just fine. Or it may not.
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 07:53 PM   #8
Regular Crew

We bought 100ft cables from Wal-Mart and joined them together with couplers. After about 400 ft, the picture gets a kind of ghosting effect and we have to use an amplifier.

So.... don't get your coax from wal-mart.
Brian Farris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 01:17 AM   #9
Regular Crew

hahaha,

I'll see if target has something better!

Rick
Rick Step is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion