18 Year Old Film Student Looking For Advice... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 12th, 2006, 11:49 PM   #16
Major Player

Hey Dylan,

My maths is pretty finnicky and I'm still stuck in the 1:8 or so conversion days :P

Bottom line is that the PD150 is going for R5000 less than a new VX2100 :D

Clifton > Camps Bay beach :)
Aviv Hallale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 06:38 AM   #17
Wrangler

Hey, what street is the film school on there? Kloof? Orange? I hung out at a little coffee shop right by it quite often. Probably moving back to Cape Town next fall for a few months, but that's a secret....

Out of curiosity, what does a new HVX200 sell for there?
Old April 14th, 2006, 08:51 AM   #18
Major Player

Yep, Kloof Street. I'm guessing you sat at Vida E Cafe? :D Their coffee is the staple diet for bohemian yuppies and art teachers. AFAIK, the HVX hasn't been released yet, so I can't help with a price...
Old April 14th, 2006, 10:11 AM   #19
Wrangler

Yup, that's the one! Good muffins too.

I ask about the HVX200 because one of the guys I know there said I could have sold it in Cape Town for considerably more than I paid for it here. He usually brings a new laptop over from the USA whenever he flies back and forth, and sells it to pay for part of his trip. I didn't give it too much thought, but might next time I'm back there.
Old April 14th, 2006, 10:47 AM   #20
Major Player

I actually prefer Mugg & Bean (in that Lifestyle center down the road) more :P

You should check into doing a short course when you're back here, the institute is really great and a course runs from 4 to 6 weeks.
Old April 14th, 2006, 11:08 AM   #21
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviv Hallale
I actually prefer Mugg & Bean (in that Lifestyle center down the road) more :P

You should check into doing a short course when you're back here, the institute is really great and a course runs from 4 to 6 weeks.
Nah, I don't believe in film school. I did enough of it 10 years ago. Plus there is way too much surfing to be done to stay in school for a month.

Didn't go to Mugg & Bean. I'm actually not much of a coffee shop guy. My favorite spot was on the sidewalk front of Caprice sipping martinis and watching gorgeous women block my view of the beach.
Why did I come back to North America again?
Old April 14th, 2006, 03:46 PM   #22
Major Player

Camps Bay/Clifton is really the best place in the world. Take a picnic to Clifton during sunset. Beautiful.
Old April 14th, 2006, 05:30 PM   #23
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviv Hallale
Camps Bay/Clifton is really the best place in the world. Take a picnic to Clifton during sunset. Beautiful.
SHH!!! Dude, don't tell anyone!
Seriously. Keep that one a secret.
I was staying at the Bay hotel for a bit, and walked out after a quick rain to see a rainbow stretching over Lion's Head, and the sun setting over the water, lighting up the clouds like an inferno. I grabbed the HVX and ran outside and shot what may be one of the most beautiful skies I've ever seen.
Old April 14th, 2006, 07:30 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Mannnn, ur making me feel jealous..Im 18 and only made one short :) :)

As for the DVD labelling, I have a fairly cheap Canon inkjet printer (ip4000). It has the added ability of printing onto those printable blank DVDs. Its not pro quality like a DVD ud buy, but it makes them look way more proffesional. Id recomend that for sure..just convince your parents you need a new printer for the household, and make sure u get one which print on DVDs :)

Also, I would have thought, if your doing a lot of projects (possibly more than one at a time) 150Gb mightnt be enough..

Good Luck
Josef Heks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2006, 05:18 AM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper
SHH!!! Dude, don't tell anyone!
Seriously. Keep that one a secret.
I was staying at the Bay hotel for a bit, and walked out after a quick rain to see a rainbow stretching over Lion's Head, and the sun setting over the water, lighting up the clouds like an inferno. I grabbed the HVX and ran outside and shot what may be one of the most beautiful skies I've ever seen.

*whispers*

One time me and some friends were on Clifton during one of the hottest days in the summer of 2003, it was around six o clock PM, the sun was still up but twilight was setting in, so you had a nice sunsetish hue, the beach was still warm but not painfully hot. All of a sudden we hear thunder and see lightning in the distance, but not a drop of rain for that whole show of nature. That was awesome :P
Aviv Hallale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion