Mixing 3CCD cameras at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 1st, 2003, 12:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Mixing 3CCD cameras

I currently am trying to get a little deeper into event videography so I was planning to purchase a used Sony Vx1000 or maybe a used Panasonic AG-EZ30. Would the difference in image quality between my Sony Trv 50s and one of these 3 CCD camera be to great to edit and make look right.

Scott
Scott Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2003, 12:22 PM   #2
Inner Circle

There will be a difference in the footage, and the ability to "match" them will depend to a certain extent on your pre-production (Which camera looks best under which lighting conditions... which camera to use for "wide" or long shots, and which to use for closeups, etc.) -and it will depend on the color correction capabilities of your editing system. AVID XpressDV currently has the most powerful color correction system, but most NLE have aequate capabilities, IF you know how to use them.

Sorry for the run-on sentence.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2003, 02:04 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I mix a trv17 and a trv950 and it works out ok. If you can get your hands on a 1000 it will most likely do well as it will have the sony look making it easier to work the footage together from my experience.I used to have to mix a sharp and a sony together and there is a lot more difference between them causing lots of trouble.
Old February 1st, 2003, 03:24 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I have mixed video from a DSR-200 (same CCD’s as VX100), and a Sony TRV17. It was ok. It is definitely better when mixing with the PD100 and DSR-200 though.

Alex
Alex Ratson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2003, 09:32 AM   #5
Major Player

White balance. I find the most important thing when mixing my VX1000 and my PD150 is starting with them with the same white balance and rebalancing often. Everything else matters too, of course.

When mixing cameras, having a decent real time color correction in post is important. An awful lot of tweaking is required and waiting to render just doesn't work.

Rick
Rick Spilman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion