Capturing Problem with XL2 24p to PPRO 1.5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 16th, 2006, 09:53 AM   #1
New Boot

Capturing Problem with XL2 24p to PPRO 1.5

I filmed a weekend retreat using my Canon XL2. I filmed it in 24p and in 16:9 ratio. I am editing with Adobe Premiere 1.5. For some odd reason, the audio is jumpy. It will skip in random places every few seconds or so. Also, the video will kind of lag a frame or so every now and then.

Here’s what I have done so far:
I’ve listened to the audio and viewed the video during the capturing process. The audio and video are running perfectly on the camera.
I’ve alternated between two IE1394 cables with the same result both times.
I’m recording in ten minute increments. (If that means anything to anybody.)

I’ve filmed on Maxell mini DV cassettes in a normal SP mode.
I have 152.0 GB available on my hard drive.
My computer was reformatted three weeks ago with all the software reinstalled.
I am not using a capture card; I am running through an IE1394 cable.
My computer is a Sony Vaio Model PCV-A41L.

What can I do to achieve the clarity that I have viewing straight from my camera?

Any other information needed will be provided upon request.
Geotis Alston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 12:38 PM   #2
Major Player

try compressin the audio and see if the problem persists. Often times the problem is not the captured video/audio, it is your playback hardware. It's happened to me where I get drop-outs during playback because my computer can't process the information quick enough.

hope this helps.
Roger Rosales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 04:11 PM   #3
Trustee

Upgrade to Premiere Pro 2.0... it is a known issue that PP 1.5 has trouble with 24P.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2006, 10:24 AM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rosales
try compressin the audio and see if the problem persists. Often times the problem is not the captured video/audio, it is your playback hardware. It's happened to me where I get drop-outs during playback because my computer can't process the information quick enough.

hope this helps.
I’m not exactly sure how to do the thing you’re suggesting. Is there a certain setting on the camera for compress the audio? Also, I’ve noticed that if I leave my computer alone for awhile, the problem with stop, but after a while, like twenty minutes or so, the problem starts up again. Thanks for the help so far guys!
Old April 23rd, 2006, 01:36 PM   #5
Major Player

Geoties,

Compression is done after you have captured your footage onto your computer's hard drive. You can use a variety of freeware programs to do so, or you can do it within premiere. Export your audio only, no video. Then all you do is load the audio file into a program such as "Monkey's Audio"
http://www.monkeysaudio.com/

After you compress it, it should play fine IF the problem is your computers speed. If not, then it could be a problem with Premiere. I use PP1.5 and I haven't had ANY issues though, so I doubt that.

Also, before you try compressing the audio, after you have exported the audio from the premiere timeline, try playing back the audio before you compress. More often than not, it's the video processing that interferes with the audio playback.
Old April 23rd, 2006, 05:55 PM   #6
New Boot

I’m sorry, what I meant to say in my original post is that I have problems in the capturing process. Once it’s captured, I have no problem with it, but like I said before, the audio will skip in random places every few seconds or so. I’ve captured all everything that I need for the project I mentioned, but I am still curious as to why that keeps happening.
Old April 24th, 2006, 04:41 PM   #7
Major Player

I understood your original post and like I said, I've experienced "skipping" on my captured audio but in reality was lack of processing power for playback.

Does the audio "skip" at the exact same spot EVERYTIME and for the EXACT same length of time?
Old April 25th, 2006, 12:42 AM   #8
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rosales
I understood your original post and like I said, I've experienced "skipping" on my captured audio but in reality was lack of processing power for playback.

Does the audio "skip" at the exact same spot EVERYTIME and for the EXACT same length of time?
No, it doesn’t skip at the exact same spot every time, nor for the same length of time. Its skipping seems to be completely random. It’s never longer that a split second though. When I check the captured file, the skips still remain. I’m not sure what’s going on. I’m not running any other programs while I’m capturing. Would a RAM upgrade solve this aggravation?
Geotis Alston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion