help me out please at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 16th, 2006, 11:53 AM   #1
New Boot

help me out please

hi all.
I'm 14 years old and i went to see a film back in 2005, and after it I came out thinkin " i wana make movies that good", so i got a DVC for my X-mas, and have started maiing short films on windows movie maker, but i just dont know what to do from here, anyone have any answers?.
Mark Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 12:03 PM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Mark, and welcome to DVinfo! I've moved your thread to our Open DV Forum since it's sort of a general question. The Helping Hands forum is intended for people trying to find crew, camera operators, etc. for specific events.

Now it's hard to provide a simple answer to such a broad question. First, you're really lucky to have equipment and to have started making movies at such a young age! My initial thought is simply to keep on doing what you're doing. At 14 years of age you have the whole world ahead of you. Keep your eyes wide open, read everything you can get your hands on, watch lots of movies and analyze them.... and just "do it."

A good start would be to spend awhile browsing through all the forums which interest you on this site. There is a wealth of information here already, and you can feel free to join in the discussions that are already in progress.

Glad to have you aboard, and will look forward to hearing about what you're working on.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 02:51 PM   #3
New Boot

thanks!

hi again thanks!, yeah i guess i am kinda lucky to have the equipment and am enjoying them to the full! Me and my brother are now just trying to make up ideas and then just put them onto our computer, I'll ask my mum to get me some books on the subject, and watch as much movies as i can well thanks for the advice boyd! the sites been a great help and i'll continue making short movies!
Old April 16th, 2006, 03:04 PM   #4
Inner Circle

My advice is to find other local film makers in your area and volunteer on their shoots while you're still trying to develop a concept on your own. You'll learn a lot, and may meet some people who will be willing to work as crew on your own shoot.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 03:06 PM   #5
New Boot

yeah i guess i could
Old April 16th, 2006, 05:43 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Campbell
hi all.
I'm 14 years old and i went to see a film back in 2005, and after it I came out thinkin " i wana make movies that good", so i got a DVC for my X-mas, and have started maiing short films on windows movie maker, but i just dont know what to do from here, anyone have any answers?.
Mark,

Check on my email address, send me your address, and I'll send you a basic book that may help you.

Otherwise, study this forum and others and learn everything you can. Great for you to get started so soon! Read everything you can!

Mike
Old April 17th, 2006, 09:59 AM   #7
New Boot

mike this ive sent you an email i dont know if it reached you though

my email address....mark_campbell_2005@hotmail.co.uk
Old April 17th, 2006, 10:59 AM   #8
Major Player

Mark,

There are a number of things you can do to become a better videographer and you have already done the first thing... Ask for advice. Without sounding like a DVinfo cheerleader, this is one of the best forums for getting advice and information from people ranging from the experienced professionals to the guy who bought his first camera this morning. Look critically at the forums, evaluate what works for you and try it, and try it again and again til it works the way you want it to. Tape is cheap and experience is priceless!

Another approach rather than "trying to make up ideas", is trying to find the "story" in everyday life. How do you get ready for school in the morning? What's going on with those guys playing chess in the park? What's the story behind that old house in your neighborhood? Look and you will find a story. They you can use your talent to make the story come alive in a way that will amuse, educate, enlighten, motivate etc.

As far as experience with the technical details, I'd echo what Marco said - find some projects that are looking for a helping hand and volunteer. I have learned a great deal about film making from working with others (including Marco!)

Good luck and welcome to the community - some pretty nice folks here!
Mike Cavanaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 03:11 PM   #9
New Boot

Hi
I realy appreciate the help you guys thanks alot.I'll think about what you said Mike, and I'll look for a deeper story I have a few in mind already.Thanks again.
Mark
Old April 22nd, 2006, 10:25 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Campbell
Hi
I realy appreciate the help you guys thanks alot.I'll think about what you said Mike, and I'll look for a deeper story I have a few in mind already.Thanks again.
Mark
I also recommend that you read a couple scripts, especially if you plan on writing one yourself, you will learn a lot just from reading a script and then watching the movie. It will help you understand how all the production elements come into play on the big screen.
Salil Sundresh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion