Assorted posts from 2002Q1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 27th, 2002, 11:21 AM   #16
Sammi Funk

Wide Format Shooting

I am a director interested in doing a project in wide format, because I think the world is heading in that direction. What is the best camera setup to do this? I have heard the GL1 or XL1s wide format capability is not good enough.
That you need at least an anamorphic lens, or that you need higher end cameras with better ability. The other consideration is that I may have to rent all of this.
Old January 28th, 2002, 02:37 PM   #17
New Boot

Which device control for VX2000?

1/ On my Pre 6.0.1, the device control list for Sony does not include the VX 2000... which one is the best choice?

2/ Why is it that many time when I re-open a current project the settings for device control are gone (no device control)?

3/ As soon as I select a directory on a disk partition, I am not allowed to select a device control with the pop-up menu (only none is available). So the only way is to accept the root of the partition!
Gondwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2002, 11:38 PM   #18
Registration Incomplete -- contact Admin.

XL1 - Premier Capture Question(s)

If I use frame mode with my XL1, is it non-drop frame or drop-frame 30fps NTSC in Premier? I also notice that there is no selection for progressive frames, would you use "no frames" in the keyframe section and if exporting to an mpg2 encoder, would that also be the progressive setting? Also, if you capture at 60 fps or higher, would those settings in Premier change? Oh yeah, while I'm here, if I shoot with my XL1, does it matter what you capture from as I use a JVC DV deck to capture and print back to tape? In addition, is there a work around for the audio drift when capturing more than 15 mins. of footage?
drilldoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2002, 11:51 PM   #19
davidsygall

Web cast with xl1

Is it possible? or do you have to use S-vidio sout and a capture card and is taht possible?
Old February 7th, 2002, 01:51 PM   #20
Chad Whitlock

Sony WV-DR7

Have been reading excellent reviews on this deck and am wondering if anyone has any experience using this with a Canon XL1-s? Any information that can be provided is greatly appreciated!
Old February 7th, 2002, 05:44 PM   #21
XCNTRIC1

purchasing a good video card

I'm new to all of this and just purchasing my equipment. I'm also confused as to what i need and don't. I will upgrade my video card,but dont want to over kill. Too mant choices. I'm looking at the ATI RADEON 8500.I guess I'm worried about loosing quaility when inputting the video. Is there anything special I should look for when making this purchase? Don't want my film quality to suffer from lack of knowledge. I also hear thar fire wire isn't all it's cracked up to be. Should I input with s video insstead?

Detailed Specifications
Type of Video Card: 2D/3D Video w/TV Support
Connectors: Video - 15 pin High-Density D-shell (VGA)
Video - 4 pin mini-DIN (S-Video)
Video - DVI (Digital Flat Panel)
AGP Support: AGP 2XAGP 4X

RAMDAC Speed: 250 MHz
Resolution: 2048 x 1536

Also

64MB AGP NVIDIA GEFORCE3 TI 200
Manufacturer: PNY Technologi

Detailed Specifications
AGP Support: AGP 2X
AGP 4X
AGP Texturing
RAMDAC Speed: 350 MHz

LAST BUT NOT LEAST

All In Wonder Radeon 8500DV AGP 64MB DDR NTSC/DVD/FIREWIRE/DVI-I
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies
Lowest Price:
$315.38

Detailed Specifications
Connectors: Audio - Line In (1/8" Mini)
Audio - Line Out (1/8" Mini)
IEEE 1394 - 6 pin Powered
Video - 4 pin mini-DIN (S-Video)
Video - DVI (Analog Monitor)
Video - DVI (Digital Flat Panel)
Video - RCA Composite Video

AGP Support: AGP 2X
AGP 4X
Color Depth at Maximum Resolution: 16.7 Million Colors (24-bit)
Old February 10th, 2002, 03:19 AM   #22
steffeneilts

Problems with Avid and Premiere (WIN 2000)

I have problems to capture video under Windows 2000. Tere are no problems under WIN ME and Premiere 6.0.
Under Avid Xpress (WIN 2000) I am able to remote my Camera (Sony PD 150) but there is no video in composerwindow.
The camera is detected under audio-, video-, gamecontroller as 1394 DV Camcorder (NonDirect show). Maybe that is The problem.
I Think it should be Microsoft DV Kamera and Videorecorder.

But how can I cange the driver???
Where do I get the dv Connect drivers disc that is required???

I use a Terratec Cameo 400 DV card.

Please, who can help me???
Old February 10th, 2002, 11:18 PM   #23
Trustee

Lighting Help

The following link is designed for theatre, but it's useful just the same

http://dolphin.upenn.edu/~pacshop/lab/lab.html
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2002, 05:39 PM   #24
Regular Crew

DA Conversion with Sony products

When I am editing sound effects in Final Cut Pro and play footage back on the timeline, I will get audible distortion at loud points if I am using my Sony DVMC-DA1 box to convert the firewire into video for my monitor and audio for my sound system. However if I pipe the firewire through my Canon XL1 instead of the Sony box I get no audio disortion at all, making sure to play everything at the same exact level. Does Sony just use inferior hardware to do the DA conversion?

I have noticed that my Sony MiniDisc player distorts much more easily than my Sharp MD player. Seems like using cheap DA converters (and maybe even AD converters) is perhaps a Sony trend. Anyone else notice this?
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2002, 06:31 PM   #25
New Boot

Pro Digital Camera Guide at http://SYPHAonline.com

The Pro Digital Camera Guide at http://SYPHAonline.com offers free access to more than 70 unbiased product listings and covers professional studio and portable cameras and camcorders.

You can browse through the entire database of cameras, or search for specific products by application, recording format, body type, interchangeable lenses, CCD number, size and type, aspect ratio, audio channels, weight, cable/transmission type, digital interface, cost range, as well as manufacturer or product name. A summary description and contact details are provided for each product, and in some cases, a fuller specification is available with a product shot and live email and web links. Where possible features which help in post production are highlighted.

Background
Other professional titles accessible via http://SYPHAonline.com include The NLE Buyers Guide to nonlinear video editors and disk recorders/servers for editing, and The DAW Buyers Guide to digital audio workstation and tapeless recorders.
NLEguide.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2002, 04:28 PM   #26
New Boot

Help - Software not recognizing device

Have recently purchased used Sony VX1000. Am running Ulead Video Studio 5.0 while saving up for Mac G4 with FCP. Was able to connect for a few days and had no problems capturing. Now when I start capture process I get a message that there are no capture drivers installed on this system. Have uninstalled and reinstalled Video Studion and when I hook up my camera through 1394 port I get message that their are no device drivers installed on my system. I'm thinking - they were there yesterday what the heck happened to them?! Have been through Uleads FAQ support and emailed them earlier in the week. The are "working" on it. Meanwhile I have all this great footage I've shot and am dying to edit. Suggestions? Am I missing something easy? FYI - Am running on Compaq AMD K6 laptop with TI 1394 Firewire Card Bus.
Gayle Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2002, 11:26 AM   #27
Eamonn D.

Batch Logging File Formats

Howdy All;

We have a bunch of iMacs running premiere, and also a discreet Edit NLE. I've been attempting to use batch capture data from premiere in the discreet system, so that we can use the imacs for logging, and free up more time on the discreet for the fancier stuff. So far, no success. Does anyone know anything about these batch capture file formats?

all advice appreciated!
Eamonn Doyle
Trinity College, Dublin
Old February 19th, 2002, 10:47 AM   #28
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Yahoo: Electronics Firms Unify Blue Laser Standards

Interesting news story:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=581&u=/nm/20020219/tc_nm/tech_japan_dvd_dc_1

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2002, 11:10 AM   #29
Registration Incomplete -- contact Admin.

New Tech?

I've been trying to search for information on New Technologies in the DV world that are coming out in the near future. But haven't found much and haven't gotten my hands on the magazines I've been trying to look for.

I must say, I actually thought the DV cameras out right now would have been a lot better by now. But I've noticed that there just is not one camera that has all the goodies. It's usually disperesed. One camera will have something that another camera does not. Sux.

I just bought a Canon GL-1 but I'm sure I bought it at the end of it's run. It seems like they will probably come out with something better in the next couple of months. But I couldn't wait because I do have some immediate needs for it.

But I'm hoping that there will be a pro-sumer DV camera out there soon that will do all the goodies in one.

My pick:
1) combined Digital video and stills with atleast 3megapixels on stills.
2) digital video with 3CCDs at higher specs
3) True 16x9 anamorphic abilities if that's possible
4) 16x9 guide lines to give post-production possibilities
5) Special features galore (digital effects, etc...)
6) Stop motion animation capabilities
7) Updated LCD Screens with more pixels/colors
8) Better battery usage.
9) Light weight but not small like the Sony miniMV...that's ridiculous. TOO small. You have to be able to hold it with your hands not your fingers.
10) Better night usage.
11) Advanced audio capabilities

Some cameras have some of the features I mentioned but none that has all. and definitely some that no camera has.

okay, went off subject a little.
mdreyes23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2002, 06:42 PM   #30
Quantum Productions

DVD 'Stand alone' Writer!

Panasonic DMR-E20 any good anyone? The price is not bad (under $1000 us) and it appears to do alot all in one machine, direct connection from my DV camera! This may be a better way to go instead of the computer 'hassel' .

http://www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/50-panasonic-dmr-e20-multi-region-dvd-recorder.html

Last edited by Adam Wakely; February 19th, 2002 at 07:07 PM.
Adam Wakely is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion