Agdv 2000 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 3rd, 2003, 02:04 PM   #1
Art Thiede

Agdv 2000

Since I can't find a forum that directly relates to this product I'm hoping someone on this one can help me out. I'm having head problems on my AGDV 2000 vtr that results in many artifacts during playback. Upon examination of the tape mechanism I notice that the tape does not come off the head during fast forward and rewind. Is this normal and if not could this be the root of my problem? Cleaning the head with a cleaning tape seems futile. There are still many artifacts especially in high contrast scenes.
Old February 3rd, 2003, 03:54 PM   #2
Warden

During FF and RR the tape is in contact with the heads so that a picture can be seen. My best guess is a tape path alignment is in order. The heads are not precisely tracking the data on the tape. Error correction is producing the blockiness seen on the screen. Search tape path alignment and you'll see several threads on the subject.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2003, 06:32 PM   #3
Art Thiede

tape alignment?

Thanks for your response Jeff but I don't think tape alignment is my problem. We shot with 3 cameras that day: Optura, PD 150, and an XLCanon. We used the same tape stock (Sony Premium) in each. The artifact problem only cropped up on the XL footage and then only on one section of the tape. On this particular tape the artifacts are present primarily on the dark racing suits of the ski racers and not on the background of snow. Obviously this was a very high contrast ratio scene. The aritifacts are not present via camera playback either through the camera LCD screen or NTSC monitor but only via the AGDV 2000. This would indicate to me that it is not a tape quality problem nor a tape alignment problem since the other tapes play just fine. When I playback other previously recorded tapes they play just fine as well. Is it possible that the recording heads on the XL don't jive with the tape alignment for the AGDV2000? Is there a compatability issue between cameras and VTR's? Also, is there a problem with cleaning the drum with a cotton swab and alcohol? When I called a service center and told them I had cleaned the drum this way they acted as if I just committed digital suicide.
Old February 3rd, 2003, 07:07 PM   #4
Warden

Given the complete details I can see that tape path alignment is an unlikely cause. Compatibility issues don't show only during one type of scene. I would be more suspect of the extreme video levels you were trying to photograph. Have you looked at that portion of the tape in question with a waveform monitor? The AG DV2000 may not have some video levels adjusted properly. Since the tape plays fine in several other players, it seems to be recorded fine. If the tape path or heads need alignment it would show on more than one section of tape.

Your method of head cleaning is not recommended by the manufacture. Cotton swaps should only be used in an emergency and then as a last resort. Alcohol can be used, but most people don't use the proper strength. The common rubbing alcohol is too diluted with water and can damage the heads. Many repair facilities will use 99.9% pure alcohol as a solvent. It contains virtually no water and evaporates almost on contact.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2003, 10:05 PM   #5
Regular Crew

AG-DV2000 Issues

I have used the 2000 on location and for loading the NLE for almost 3 years now. I also use XL-1 systems as well. I have had no long term image artifacts or compatability issues, only isolated frames with artifacts. Luckilly I had other angles to choose from to dump those bad frames.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2003, 12:01 AM   #6
Major Player

I also use an XL-1 with the DV2000. I had problems quite a while back when using Sony mini & full size tapes, but after switching to Panasonic MQ tapes (and having the unit professionally cleaned), the problems mostly went away. During playback, I will still get an occasional random dropped frame (maybe 2-3 in a 63 minute tape), but otherwise it works OK. Most of the drops will not repeat at the same spot -- the ones that do were caused by the XL-1.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion