Limited budget - which teleprompter? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 10th, 2006, 01:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Limited budget - which teleprompter?

I need a teleprompter and I'm on a limited budget. There must be something out there for less than $1,000 that's good, bright, works like a standard teleprompter. Any sugguestions?
Eric Pontbriand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 09:40 PM   #2
DVi Contributor

inside yes. outside no. The transmission ratio of this type of glass and the need to have a very bright LCD monitor make these things very pricey for outdoor use. THere is a very good one for use with any handheld PC that clamps onto the lens I think it is well under 1,000 if you own the handheld device.
Craig Chartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 12:11 AM   #3
New Boot

Check out the EZ Prompter

I've been using one for the last 3 years. It is one of the best purchases I've ever made.
http://www.ezprompter.com/
Richard Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 04:46 AM   #4
Regular Crew

EZ prompter

I've gotta say, EZ prompter looks good. Seems that's using mirrors and piece of paper to reflect, yes?

I think I'd like that idea because it's quick and wouldn't require a laptop out on all the shoots. Plus it seems you'd be able to see that in daylight better.
Eric Pontbriand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 10:19 AM   #5
Major Player

That EZ prompter looks like a good idea. However, if you're using a single sheet of paper, you've to be careful if its a longer read and you need it to be one continuous shot. If you try to put a lot of text on one sheet, you'll need to be closer to the talent so that they can read it. But if you get too close, you're going to see their eyes moving side to side as they read.
I did a shoot where the CEO of the company was doing a spiel, and we used BIG cue cards held just below the camera. It worked really well. Again, I made sure that the cue cards were large enough so I could be set back from the talent, so you don't notice his eyes moving side to side.
The laptop option for the EZ prompter looks good, or you can always hire a prompter, which will come with an operator.
Cal Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 10:25 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Eric,

I've used the DV-9 prompter from prompter people - I paid $800 for the unit, which i considered a steal since i can use the LCD screen as a seperate monitor, and it included text reversing software.

http://www.prompterpeople.com/minidetail.htm

I know their prices will be going up in the near future
~Mike
Mike Rinkunas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion