Comparing Cameras at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 15th, 2006, 09:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Comparing Cameras

So yeah, I'm sure you get tired of this, but I'd like to know your thoughts on the following cameras. I've chosen them because of what I've gleaned off of recent posts simular to mine. I have approximately 2500 to spend at most....

The Sony DCR-VX2100

versus

Canon's GL-2

also, if you have a camera for less than 2500 that is comprable with these I'd love to hear about it, even if you don't have time to say more than the name, I'm fine with doing my own research later.

:P :P :P

Thanks everyone for the help!!!
James OClaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 10:14 PM   #2
Inner Circle

VX2100 over GL2. Larger chip, 1/3 v 1/4, better in low light.
Old May 15th, 2006, 11:26 PM   #3
Inner Circle

The Sony DCR-VX2100

versus

Canon's GL-2

to me, there is no thinking involved....VX all the way, any day
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 12:06 AM   #4
Regular Crew

cool cool, love to hear a consistent opinion!
I'm really liking what I hear about this camera. :)
Old May 16th, 2006, 06:28 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Love my GL-2....lets hear it for this one!
Richard Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 06:58 AM   #6
Major Player

The cameras are very comparable in most ways. Each camera has a strong point that will help you decide which one is best for you.

GL2: great zoom range. If you are taping events where a strong zoom is important (sporting events, wildlife, etc) then I would choose the GL2.

VX2100: great in low light. If you are taping events where great low light performance is important (wedding receptions, concerts, etc) then the VX2100 is the clear winner.

You have to decide which is most important to you. Both cameras have been used very successfully in all situations. You can't make a 'wrong' choice.
Lloyd Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 09:22 AM   #7
Wrangler

Are you interested in 16:9 widescreen? Neither of those cameras do a good job at 16:9 due to their low resolution CCD's. You might consider the PDX-10, which would also save you some $$$ at $1,700 while providing pro audio feathers and high quality 16:9:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...sc&fi=all&pn=2

Another camera worth considering is the HVR-A1 which sells for $2,000 and would give you pro audio plus HDV:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Visit our forums for these cameras to learn more about them.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 12:59 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I had a GL-2. It was built too much like a toy, IMO. I returned it and got a Sony PD170. MUCH BETTER CAMERA. Picture can't be compared. Just better all around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James OClaire
So yeah, I'm sure you get tired of this, but I'd like to know your thoughts on the following cameras. I've chosen them because of what I've gleaned off of recent posts simular to mine. I have approximately 2500 to spend at most....

The Sony DCR-VX2100

versus

Canon's GL-2

also, if you have a camera for less than 2500 that is comprable with these I'd love to hear about it, even if you don't have time to say more than the name, I'm fine with doing my own research later.

:P :P :P

Thanks everyone for the help!!!
Georg Herbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 01:32 PM   #9
Major Player

used to love my GL2, not so much any more

For about a year and a half I shot tons with my GL2 and loved it. As Lloyd points out, it has a great zoom and I was at the back of the concert hall shooting a well lit stage. It was just right. I was very pleased with the image and with the audio input, surprising considering it's mini and not XLR. Then I started getting the dreaded tape eject problem. Do a search, it's a very well known and moderately common problem. (Certainly people who don't have the problem aren't posting, so it's hard to be exact, but lots of people are.) So sadly, until Canon comes up with a reliable fix, I no longer recommend the camera to people. A shame, but I wish someone had told me about the problem before I bought.
Kris Holodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 05:32 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Holodak
For about a year and a half I shot tons with my GL2 and loved it. As Lloyd points out, it has a great zoom and I was at the back of the concert hall shooting a well lit stage. It was just right. I was very pleased with the image and with the audio input, surprising considering it's mini and not XLR. Then I started getting the dreaded tape eject problem. Do a search, it's a very well known and moderately common problem. (Certainly people who don't have the problem aren't posting, so it's hard to be exact, but lots of people are.) So sadly, until Canon comes up with a reliable fix, I no longer recommend the camera to people. A shame, but I wish someone had told me about the problem before I bought.

To me the most important aspect of a video camera is its ability to shoot low light. In this regard, the Sony is far above the Canon.
Old May 16th, 2006, 05:40 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georg Herbet
To me the most important aspect of a video camera is its ability to shoot low light. In this regard, the Sony is far above the Canon.
Interesting. Do you shoot in low light a lot? For me, for the last 4 years in this job, I've had one occasion where low light was a factor. So when I was looking for cameras that has been low on my priority list. It does highlight the importance of knowing how you're going to be using your camera to know what camera is right for you.
Old May 17th, 2006, 01:53 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Holodak
Interesting. Do you shoot in low light a lot? For me, for the last 4 years in this job, I've had one occasion where low light was a factor. So when I was looking for cameras that has been low on my priority list. It does highlight the importance of knowing how you're going to be using your camera to know what camera is right for you.

It certainly has been for me. I've just been using handhelds and GL1s at my high school and local Media Center respectively and with both my problem has always been low light unless it's noon and I'm outside. Of course I don't have a lighting set up either, which just makes it more important to me.
Old May 17th, 2006, 08:23 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by James OClaire
It certainly has been for me. I've just been using handhelds and GL1s at my high school and local Media Center respectively and with both my problem has always been low light unless it's noon and I'm outside. Of course I don't have a lighting set up either, which just makes it more important to me.
That's right. And to a video camera, most indoor lighting situations ARE "low light." So low good light shooting ability is all-important, even if you're not shooting in light that's very low.
Old May 17th, 2006, 10:10 AM   #14
Major Player

If you can only shoot in available light it's certainly an important concern when selecting your camera. And sometimes you don't have a lot of control over the situations you're in and can only shoot in available light. However, as you progress and get into situations where you have some control over what's going on, might I suggest saving up for some lights. You'd be amazed at what a difference a couple of omnis bounced off the ceiling can make, regardless of the camera.
Old May 17th, 2006, 10:51 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Are you interested in 16:9 widescreen? Neither of those cameras do a good job at 16:9 due to their low resolution CCD's. You might consider the PDX-10, which would also save you some $$$ at $1,700 while providing pro audio feathers and high quality 16:9:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...sc&fi=all&pn=2

Another camera worth considering is the HVR-A1 which sells for $2,000 and would give you pro audio plus HDV:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Visit our forums for these cameras to learn more about them.
How is the quality on the HVR-A1 when shot in SD compared to the Sony VX2100? At the moment I don't have any reason for needing HD, but it might be a good investment to have that option on the camera.

Last edited by James OClaire; May 18th, 2006 at 09:17 AM.
James OClaire is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion