stocking diffusion filter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 13th, 2003, 09:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

stocking diffusion filter

does anyone know of a good brand of stockings to make a home made diffusion filter? i've read that it's best to use a neutral color like beige or gray. does anyone have any recommendations?

mb4
Michael Buendia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2003, 11:37 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I think that Control-Top pantyhose work best.

Just kidding. But I would advise that if you plan to use this with tungsten lights you should consider using different material. Most cheap leggings are made from synthetic fibers that will not hold-up to the heat of these lights.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2003, 01:28 AM   #3
Regular Crew

not for the lights! i'm planning on placing it behind the lens of my works dvcam (dxc-d30). i need to soften the image on some of the promos i shoot with some of the female news anchors. unfortunately, there is no budget so i must make my own home made diffusion filters.

mb4
Michael Buendia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2003, 07:04 AM   #4
Warden

The different colors will effect the color of your highlights and edges. Colors I've used with satisfactory results are white, black, grey and nude. It will require some experimentation. The advantage of video over film is the immediate feedback. Look at your results with a monitor and you'll see the difference between the colors.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2003, 07:53 AM   #5
Wrangler

Something else to look at, if you're using Final Cut Pro. There's a free plug-in filter from Eureka called "silk stocking". It can produce some nice results. This would let you experiment with different effects instead of permanently recording a real stocking on your tape. They also have some other free plug-ins that you can download from here: http://www.digitalfilmtree.com/EuPlugins.html. The website warns that they have only been tested with FCP 1.0, however I've used the silkstocking effect on FCP 3 without problems.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2003, 10:34 AM   #6
Wrangler

Are you concerned with softening facial features?

If so, I think that camera has a flesh-tone setup that will lower the sharpness of whatever tone you designate.

Another approach is to use a Pro-Mist filter that will soften detail and smooth out contrast.
Old February 14th, 2003, 01:56 PM   #7
Major Player

Be careful placing nets behind a lens, as this will affect the back focus adjustment. After placing the net behind the lens you should backfocus the lens carefully at wide open. Then don't forget to do it again when you take the net off.

If it was easy, they'd get a relative to do it.
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2003, 08:48 PM   #8
Wrangler

One of the classic film stockings is by Fogal, and the particular product is Noblesse. Be advised that it is not cheap--around $70 a pair. It has a particularly fine mesh and minimal stray hairs, unlike cheap stockings.
Old February 21st, 2003, 08:15 PM   #9
Inner Circle

try this site
http://www.vidpro.org/tricks.htm

lots of inexpensive ideas, including home made softboxes and a neat idea on how to use Nylon stockings as a filter.

be interesting to hear about cheap tricks from other pros.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion