DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Best way how to clean the flip out LCD screen (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/7007-best-way-how-clean-flip-out-lcd-screen.html)

Bruce Pelley February 17th, 2003 04:30 PM

Best way how to clean the flip out LCD screen

Just joined the forum.I managed to put sizable thumbmark over the LCD screen and am a bit leary of jumping in impulsively and potentially misapply the wrong solution or use a wrong method to in an attempt to restore the screens pristine condition on this cam.Eliciting those members who have already crossed this threshold to share their success stories with me.I apologize if its something basic like soap and water.Rather be safe than sorry.
Thanks in advance.All opinions,comments and experiences welcome!!!

Bruce

Michael Buendia February 17th, 2003 07:55 PM

a good one that's safe for the gl2's lcd is a product called Klear Screen (www.klearscreen.com). you can also find it at your local electronics store (like fry's).

mb4

Ken Tanaka February 17th, 2003 08:10 PM

Bruce,
The GL2's lcd screen is basically at least as durable as that of a desktop lcd monitor or notebook computer screen. The Klearscreen product looks fine. I use eyeglass cleaner available in small, easy to pack squeeze bottles from most optometrists and drug stores. I also use a 3M Magic Cloth.

Jeff Donald February 17th, 2003 09:23 PM

Make sure the screen is free of any sand or debris that might scratch the screen. Then get a piece of wide Scotch tape and press it on to the screen. Rub it gently back and forth a few times and remove the tape. All the oil, grease, fingerprints, dust, lint etc is lifted off the screen. Try, it works. I've used it on all the LCD screens I've ever had and it works perfectly. I find it works better than liquids that tend to smear the dirt, grease etc. around. This tip was given to me by a Fuji Tech Rep. 4 or 5 years ago.

Steve Nunez February 19th, 2003 05:14 PM

Jeff, you're a brave guy- I would think the tape would stick too strongly on the screen and possibly cause damage....but if you've been using this technique for awhile and a Fuji rep told you of it- then it must work- as for me- i'm too chicken to try it.

Ken Tanaka February 19th, 2003 05:23 PM

It really does work on nasty prints, Steve. And it poses no problems for uncoated screens like that of the GL2's lcd. In fact, it's actually a bit safer than wet methods.

I really also like those 3M Magic Cloths, available nearly everywhere. They are amazingly effective, even without any liquid. I even use them for lenses with complete safety Just make sure there's no grit on the screen or lens..

David Ho March 7th, 2004 07:55 PM

So KlearScreen and 3M cloths = the way to go? I also need to clean mine.

Jeff Donald March 7th, 2004 08:26 PM

Scotch tape is the best. Liquids have numerous pitfalls if used improperly, or accidentally misapplied. Cloths are fine but require rubbing and sand, grit etc. can scratch the screen.

Brian Huey March 8th, 2004 12:11 AM

How about a lens pen? Mines been working great when I need it for the lense/filters, and it be nice if it could clean the LCD safely as well.

Cheers,
Brian

Steve Iacono March 8th, 2004 05:04 AM

yea i just tried the scotch tape thing recomended on here on my gl2 lcd screen damn taht worked like a charm
thanks for the idea never thought of it

Ken Tanaka March 8th, 2004 12:07 PM

Jeff is a veritable fountain of such little tips. We've been thinking about giving him his own forum titled "Hints from Helouise".

David Ho March 8th, 2004 12:58 PM

Will the scotch tape remove scratches? I'm afraid that I have scratched (minor) on the surface of the LCD.... I know that the cleaning solutions and the cloth removes dust and particles, but do you think scratches or any other degree of "damage" to the LCD monitor is irreversible...?

Cosmin Rotaru March 10th, 2004 12:20 PM

Very nice and usefull tip, Jeff! Tried it last night!
Thanks!

Jeff Donald March 10th, 2004 12:34 PM

Thanks, Cosmin. Scotch tape will not remove scratches, sorry David. When the scratches get too severe you'll have to have the LCD replaced.

Ken, I saw Helouise on TV the other day. I swear she hasn't aged in 40 years. I wonder what her hint is for that.

Jim OMalley March 10th, 2004 01:50 PM

The current Helouise is the daughter of the original. (Kind of like the "Phantom.")

Just a little bit of domestic trivia!

;-)