Newbie with a DVX-100a question... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 1st, 2006, 04:36 PM   #1
New Boot

Newbie with a DVX-100a question...

Hello, I am really new here and have only owned this camcorder for a few months. A friend has been doing the editing up until now. I am having a problem getting my computer to recognize the camcorder. I am using a firewire and I have a new computer with more than enough power to handle this. I've tried to get a few computers to recognize it but we can't get anything. Is there some setting in the menu that either turns on or off the firewire port on the camcorder? I appreciate your help and patience with me on this.
Bart McCurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2006, 05:03 PM   #2
Major Player

I suspect that the problem is with your computer rather than the camera. What editing program are you using ? Also, I recommend the following sequence for the set-up: 1) with both camcorder and computer off, connect the firewire cable to both units 2) turn on the camcorder and put it in VCR mode 3) turn on your computer and open your editing program. If you still have problems let me know by posting here.
Mark Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2006, 05:28 PM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Donnell
I suspect that the problem is with your computer rather than the camera. What editing program are you using ? Also, I recommend the following sequence for the set-up: 1) with both camcorder and computer off, connect the firewire cable to both units 2) turn on the camcorder and put it in VCR mode 3) turn on your computer and open your editing program. If you still have problems let me know by posting here.
The reason that leads me to believe that it's not my computer is that the same thing happens with multiple computers. The only other thing I could think of is maybe the brand new cable is bad? I had a trial version of Vegas and of course the basic Movie maker is installed. My friend that had it before had Pinnacle but he said it would work with MM as well. Any thoughts? Is there something in the menu that I need to change? thanks for your help
Old July 1st, 2006, 05:33 PM   #4
New Boot

The computer I have is a new Dell E1705 with a 2ghz duo-core processor with 2 gb of DDR667mhz and a 256mb Nvidia GeForce Go 7800. Great computer so far. It should be more than enough to do some basic editing.
Old July 1st, 2006, 08:41 PM   #5
New Boot

Do you have it in VCR mode? I think it needs to be in that mode for the computer to recognize it. Have you tried a different firewire cable?
Tim Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2006, 08:46 PM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Painter
Do you have it in VCR mode? I think it needs to be in that mode for the computer to recognize it. Have you tried a different firewire cable?

Yes, I did have it on VCR mode. I don't have another cable as they cost $30.00. Maybe I should buy another one even though this one is brand new.
Old July 2nd, 2006, 09:44 PM   #7
Major Player

If you have a recent free-standing DVD recorder you could connect your camcorder to the DVD recorder using the firewire cable and test both the cable and your camcorder at once. If you don't have such a recorder, I would consider taking your camcorder and cable to a major electronics store (ie Circuit City) and seeing if they would let you make a test recording on one of their units (of course, you would tell tham that you are seriously considering purchasing such a unit).
Mark Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2006, 11:53 AM   #8
New Boot

I just tried another computer and still nothing. I'm hoping it's the cable. I'm gonna buy a new one today and give that a try.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 02:25 PM   #9
Trustee

Bart:

What editing software are you using? If you use Adobe Premiere Pro you must choose your camera from a drop down list prior to capture.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 02:39 PM   #10
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh DiMauro
Bart:

What editing software are you using? If you use Adobe Premiere Pro you must choose your camera from a drop down list prior to capture.
I was using a trial version of Sony Vegas and that didn't work. Shouldn't Windows just be able to recognize it without software? My friend who did the editing before said it would just come up in Movie Maker. I haven't bought any software yet, I'm still trying to figure out which one to buy.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 05:21 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Bart,

I can only tell you my experience: I had the problem where my computer wouldn't recognise my little camera that I used to capture images, but it did recognise my XL1s, but I didn't want to use the big camera for capturing.
A new Firewire cable solved it.

Best regards,
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2006, 05:41 PM   #12
New Boot

I just bought a new cable and still nothing. Again, is there some setting in the camcorder menu that I don't have set right? I've tried changing a few things around but still no luck.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 08:40 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Your Firewire port on the Cam is most likely the problem, see it's powered and if you plug it into another powered port it shorts the one on the camera. I hope I'm wrong but people with macs have this problem all the time.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion