External Hard Drive Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 25th, 2006, 02:19 PM   #1
New Boot

External Hard Drive Question

Well I'm about to get my first iMac soon. Should be ordering it within two weeks. But I'm going to be getting an external hard drive also. I'm torn between two choices.

LaCie 600GB Big Disk Extreme with Triple Interface, and G-DRIVE 500GB External Hard Drive.

Also I'm pretty new at the external hard drive thing. So if someone could help me decide. I'm more considered about stability, and speed of transfer with the hard drive.

Thanks, I really appreciated everyone's opinions on this board.

Also I didn't know where to post this so I posted it here.
Matt Throop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 05:46 PM   #2
New Boot

Either one would be a good choice I think. I haven't heard of the other company "G-Drive". Which one has the better price and reviews would be the one I'd consider getting. Hope that helps

James
James McEachern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 07:37 AM   #3
Major Player

Matt:

Read the posts in this thread. It should help you make up your mind.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=70024

Good luck!
Old August 3rd, 2006, 04:25 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Other folks have differing opinions but I'm against such big drives. You could save money and potential future problems with the one drive crashing by buying multiple rebate smaller drives. Possibly even a quality housing unit and you can just plug in cheap regular hard drives which can be stored by project...

Paul
Paul Cypert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 11:32 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Paul, I guess I have a different opinion on big drives. My concern is over quality. For our storage servers, we use RAID 5 arrays of SATA drives hanging off of 3ware controllers. We are currently using 400GB western Digital drives, the model specifically designed to run in arrays. (Something about the drive to drive vibration can hurt other drives in the arrays.) The 3ware cards check the array daily - and we replace the drives when they get too old, before they fail. Too old is, in my opinion, about when the 5 year warrantee expires. We only by drives with at least 5 year warrantees, I like the manufacturer to have some confidence in the drives.

If a drive fails, we hot-plug a spare drive into the array and the array is rebuilt. Data we really care about is duplicated on a similar machine at a different location.

Smaller drives just require much more "other" hardware - controllers, machines, etc. The game is to balance the value of the data with the cost of keeping it safe.
Brendon Whateley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 10:12 PM   #6
Regular Crew

sound like an impressive setup...my concern if for folks that will only have "one" external drive...almost all of my WD's failed within two years on me...I tend to be more single project based and will buy a hardrive specific to the project if it's a big project so I can devote the drive just to that and then archive if necessary...with internal drives as cheap as they are the external enclosure route has worked nicely for a more low key setup....

Paul
Paul Cypert is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion