Live DV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 27th, 2006, 09:17 AM   #1
Tourist

Live DV

Hello,

I need to have a live video displayed, in fullscreen, on a PC monitor. I have been looking at various solutions for this and one option open to me is to purchase a Digital Video Camera and plug this through a DV cable into the PC and then stream directly to the monitor.

It is essential that the video displayed is the best quality as possible so my question is, does video displayed from a camera through the DV cable have the same quality as video which is recorded normally?

Any help would be great,
Thankyou
David Peter Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 12:05 PM   #2
Major Player

David,
There are going to be several factors involved, of course. Geography of camera vs. PC Monitor, computing power, etc. Is there a reason you need it displayed full-screen on a PC Monitor? Are you going to be capturing or filtering or anything? Is there a possibility you could just hook the camera up to a monitor directly? If you don't need the capabilities of a computer, the easiest thing is just to hook up the camera to a TV or monitor using available connections. Typically connections are S-Video, or RCA cables, or possibly component, on higher end monitors/TVs. You may even be able to find a monitor with FireWire inputs, but I'm not sure that your application needs that...

The short answer is, a camera hooked directly to a monitor will look just fine (think about trips you've made to electronics stores and seen cameras hooked up there...). A camera hooked up to a PC and displaying the picture on the PC's monitor--the quality of the picture is going to depend on the processing power of your PC. On Windows XP, you can usually just hook up the camera via FireWire, and then double-click the camera's icon in "My Computer", and adjust the display parameters as needed.

Need more info for a better answer, I think...

HTH,
Matt
Matt Vanecek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 12:26 PM   #3
Major Player

windv

try thisone: http://windv.mourek.cz/ . I'm not sure it does fullscreen but near of it. Anyway it's free.
Few years ago i went through that way can't just remember except windv. But in longrun it won't work for You anywhere else than in studiorooms. So i purchased cheapest 7" car-tv i could find. It works fine and it was about $150.
Frank Hool is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion