Anyone do special interest DVDs? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 29th, 2006, 03:35 PM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Greyson
... I live in a market ranked 40+ and make a very good living...

ash =o)
I'm in the age market ranked 40+ Ash : )

I'm looking for early retirement. Six years ago, when I decided to quit being an engineer and start video production, I was in complete awe in seeing those checks written for outside firms. Now I'm in complete awe that I'm not out there bringing them in.

Steady wages, 401k, and health-care for a family of five adds up to a hefty bottom line. If I could just bring my wife home and pad the bank account...
Anyway, I'm all ears for listening to how others have gotten started on their own.
Old July 29th, 2006, 03:39 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Bray
I'm trying to get get my own little video production business going. But I have no interest in doing gigs for others such as recording weddings, sporting events, corporate events, etc. I'm interested in producing my own DVDs in areas that interest me and I know about. Producing my own instructional videos or "how-to" type videos. Maybe some documentary work down the line, but no films.

I was just curious if anyone in here produces and sells their own videos for a living? I don't think I have seen anyone talk about it. Seems most are doing the wedding and corporate videos or taking a shot at films.
Make videos of/about whatever you're personal interests or passions are. It ensures you know the subject matter well and are interested in learning more, and helps avoid boredom and eventual tedium from editing stuff you don't care about.

$.02
Old July 30th, 2006, 06:53 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Excellent vids, Steve. Particularly enjoyed the ME109 clips because my father-in-law flew those back in the day. My father flew in B17's and my wife and I joke about how they must've met before, in the air over northern France LOL.
Old July 30th, 2006, 05:38 PM   #19
Trustee

There is MASSIVE amounts of acquisitions for television programs all around the country, also, there are THOUSANDS of press kits, etc. being made and these pay very well. In the last month I shot stuff for international TV, a theatrical film out, a commercial DVD release, a music video, a reality series, a feature documentary and a press kit for Major League Baseball.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 11:45 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Steve

Do you have any player compatability issues with the duplicated discs?
Kevin Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 04:14 PM   #21
Major Player

Use the right branded discs and you get very little, in my case it's 0.2% of sales and that is usually cured with a simple replacement disc.
Steve Connor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion