Sony vx3 three chip Hi8? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 27th, 2003, 01:01 AM   #1
New Boot

Sony vx3 three chip Hi8?

I know this is not a DV camera and that it is very old, but is it a better camera than the 1 chip digital 8 and low end dv's???
Ben Idlewine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2003, 12:04 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Yes, it is better than any 1-chip DV or D8 camcorder. My studio has one and it's just about the best Hi-8 camcorder you could want. Superb color; and it was the basis for the Sony VX1000. If you have an opportunity to get a VX3 at a good price, do so. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2003, 06:22 PM   #3
Wrangler

Chris, any idea what they are worth now?
Old February 27th, 2003, 09:03 PM   #4
ChorizoSmells

I own two of them, I use them on the rare occasion that I can't find another DV camera to shoot with. I still see them at the shops I buy video gear at, they sell for about US$500. It was the first video camera I bought, back in '94 it was the top of the line, I think I paid about US$2,400 for it brand new. I bought a 2nd one used about two years later for US$1000.

Since I have so many Hi-8 tapes that I shot, I still keep them around. I later moved up to a VX-1000. I still use that camera as a second or third camera, I now have an XL-1 and sometimes my friend joins me with his XL-1s.

A friend wants to buy one of my old VX-3's. He does a lot of video experimentation using monitor feedback, he likes the signal on the VX-3, he hates the digital look of the new cameras, for his stuff he definitely likes the old analog feel to the video of the VX-3. The only thing I didn't like about it is when I filmed a lot of bands, very loud japanese noise bands, on certain frequencies, hard cymbal crashings or guitar screech, the image seems to vibrate and I'd get lots of ripples in the image, it has never happened when I started shooting with digital cameras.

A big plus on the VX-3 is the manual focus and zoom. I did some really fast zooms with the manual zoom ring. If you can find a one in good condition, buy it, it's a great little camera.
Old February 28th, 2003, 10:07 AM   #5
New Boot

What causes this

I've seen this wavy distortion effect on Analog tapes (seems to happen like the ripples in a pond when the audio gets hot)

Somebody asked me the other day what causes this and... I didn't know (well I don't know alot of things but this was one of them.)

If anybody has an explanation for this and ways to prevent it, please let me know, I'm curious!

-Thanks all

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion