is there such a thing? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 15th, 2006, 04:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

is there such a thing?

Hi,

i doubt it as i cant find it, but is there such a thing as a firewire to ethernet adaptor?

basically, becuase i cant find a firewire cable long enough (100+metres) and i belive cat6 would be able to transmit the data.

so i would have an adaptor on the camera, then cat6 cable, then another adaptor into a laptop.

is this possible?
Charles Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2006, 06:26 PM   #2
Regular Crew

it's been a while last i did any real IT. But it hink your doing apples to oranges and such. Ether net isn't set up to work like firewire, firewire does one thing and thats it (i know it's all transition of data) and ether net is just differnt. You'd have to do it all firewire or all cat 6 i think, the two won't matchup. Course some one is likely to post a reply proving me wrong, so i'll just give you the standered help desk answers

Is the computer turned on?
Are you in windows?
There is no "Any" kewy, that means which ever key you want.
Thats not a cup holder, it's your cd-rom!
Old August 15th, 2006, 08:36 PM   #3
Major Player

I'm in a similar boat...

as it's been quite a while since I did any real IT work myself.

I believe the max length of a firewire cable is about 10 meters..,MUCH shorter than you want.

You MAY be able to do what you want using a firewire hub and/or repeater(s). I know such products are available. (see firewiredirect.com) However, I suspect they still may not provide the distance you want.
This one (www.firewiredirect.com/product/116/) only extends the max distance by 15 ft, and costs $ 85. You'd need quite a few, AND quite a few bucks, to reach the distance you want.

Pehaps you should check into something wireless, which I know even less about.

Good luck.
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2006, 08:52 PM   #4
Trustee

Check with a company like www.cablesforless.com. They do custom cables and although not listed, might make them. Their 15' firewire 400 is $9.95. They have a good reputation.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 03:03 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Ellis
Check with a company like www.cablesforless.com. They do custom cables and although not listed, might make them. Their 15' firewire 400 is $9.95. They have a good reputation.
thanks i'll look into them.

also, i ask this becuase i knwo you can network two computers over firewire so i know that in theory it can be done.
Charles Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 05:35 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Perkins
thanks i'll look into them.

also, i ask this becuase i knwo you can network two computers over firewire so i know that in theory it can be done.
The Firewire ethernet "adapters" aren't adapters - they're external ethernet cards talking to the computer bus via the Firewire port. But the computer has to recognise the cards and know what to do with it. Networking two computers that way is no problem because each of them knows what to do with the card. But what you're suggesting, networking a computer to a camera, is more problematic. No problem on the computer end but I would be surprised if the camera recognizes an ethernet card plugged into its firewire port. And then there's the bandwidth issue - ethernet is 100 MbS while firewire is 400 or 800. So if the camera does recognize the adapter, then there's the issue of whether it can accept the camera's data stream fast enough. It's worth a try, of course, but I wouldn't spend a bunch of money on it without first making sure it'll work - I'm skeptical that it will.
Old August 16th, 2006, 07:29 AM   #7
Regular Crew

the new canon has the hd-video out in he jack pack (to a deck of course). i think thats about a close as it gets. The p2 has a ou, bu that's also to a deck i think, maybe it's pcima, who knows. (well some one with a p2 might know)
Old August 16th, 2006, 07:30 AM   #8
Major Player

Have a look at this, Charles. In UK, too!
Old August 16th, 2006, 08:13 AM   #9
Regular Crew

yeah, but what your stuck with is a very expensive way of not being able to do video. 100 mps isn't fsat enough (just look at video confrensing over the internet). I supose that device has it uses, but i don't htink this application would work.
Old August 18th, 2006, 01:20 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Goldman
100 mps isn't fsat enough (just look at video confrensing over the internet).
100 Mbps - 4x DV (at 25 Mbps), 2x DVCPRo-50 (at 50 Mbps) or 1x DVCPro-HD (at 100 Mbps). Video conferencing over the internet starts at 64Kbps per channel, usually wanting 3x paired ISDN at 128 Kbps each.

Remembering numbers like this is why I forget my wife's birthday... :D (perhaps she should have been born 25/6 or 10/24 in the US)
Matt Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 01:24 PM   #11
Regular Crew

My point is soemthing brilliant which makes alot of sense, and everyone agrees is truely great. However, i forgot my point, so lemme ask, is that borad cast quality? I know they do duets between singers of isdn, but couod you say..film a movie in zanzabar and have a computer in Vladivastock record it in any sort of sd or dr quality (with stereo sound).
Old August 18th, 2006, 01:38 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mayer
Have a look at this, Charles. In UK, too!
This is NOT a Firewire to Ethernet adapter. It is a Fire Wire "Bus Extender". All it is doing is re-encoding the Firewire packets into a form more immune to the things that limit fire wire cable length. These may include changing the voltages and the modulation and may include things like adaptive equalization, forward error correction etc. (at the price those techniques should certainly be in there) but nothing is said about Ethernet protocols being adhered to. IOW it is Firwire in at one end and Firewire out at the other. You can't connect Firewire to one end and Ethernet (computer or Internet) to the other. At least not the way I read the specs.
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 03:38 PM   #13
Major Player

why You need so big distance? Are You doing live broadcast? Asking because i did such little while ago. And found that best for such thing was following setup: camcorder -> normal firewire cable -> laptop(pc equipped with dv software with ability to show fullscreen video) -> vga cable -> kvm hub -> cat5 cable(up to 150m) -> kvm hub -> video projector -> big screen.
Frank Hool is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion