the video look? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 16th, 2006, 05:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

the video look?

i wonnder if you go to any film(not video) forum that any of them always talk about getting that video look. i know they dont but i thought it would be funny to speculate, like if i put it in the splice machine and a mini60i on i can get that video look.
Nate Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 09:40 PM   #2
Trustee

I see movies where the "video look" is artificially created frequently. The video look has artificial scan lines, digital static overlay, and a flashing red "record" in the corner even when the video is not supposed to be a POV of the person with the camcorder. I don't remember watching any of my footage and seeing the "record" indicator overlayed onto my tape. I also don't remember seeing static through either my old Hi8 or my digital camera. I've seen some movies whose poor production quality makes their film look far worse than most of the instances of video from the users of this forum. That is why bad movies intentionally downgrade video - it might look as good as the film on their inexpertly-lit set.

At this point, I don't think most audience members could tell the difference between film and HD. Film still has some advantages, but between film and HD the real importance is the quality of the crew.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 11:56 AM   #3
Major Player

I believe there's far too much emphasize on the "filml look".

We have cameras today that shoot 24p, but people are still struggling to get a more authentic look. It wont happen with these cams. I say, use what you have to the best of your and the cameras abilities.

Do you really think 90% of the moviegoers can really tell the difference of video or film? Do you really believe they even care?

The 10% that do are because they're either

a) movie buffs
b) filmmakers themselves
c) know someone that does know the difference and have gotten into discussions about.

But yeah, I see your point Nate and that would be pretty funny to see =D

-Roger
Roger Rosales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 03:14 PM   #4
Regular Crew

well common really, people sat through the blair witch movie, and that was horrible (in both production and video quality). So i don't htink people really care . Only the techies make a big deal out of it, even the late great orson wells didn't care, his last project he was working on was a video project.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion