Gaps between clips in Sony Vegas 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 24th, 2006, 05:26 AM   #1
Tourist

Gaps between clips in Sony Vegas 6

hello folks,

I'm using Vegas 6 for editing a documentary, and I'm generally pretty satisfied. Only problem is that sometimes when moving clips along the timeline or when I ripple delete part of a clip, a little gap of about 1 frame remains between the clips. Sometimes I can solve it by enlarging and moving manually the following clip, sometimes I need to extend the previous clip into the gap. It's a pretty annoying problem which takes time to get fixed.
I thought that it may be a problem of the ruler settings, but couldn't find the right configuration to avoid it.

Thanks to anyone for suggestions

Mirko Kulig
Mirko Kulig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 05:46 AM   #2
Old Boot

Well I use 2 approaches:

1 - Don't create them to start with! And I use Auto Ripple to make sure deletes are "closed-up"

2 - Get yourself familiar with Vegas Scripts! These are great little macro-type tools. There are several out there for free that will "Remove Gaps"

I use the Excalibur toolset:
http://www.jetdv.com/excalibur/multicam.php

. .and chedck out the Edward Troxel Vegas Scripting and Newsletters:

http://www.jetdv.com/vegas/forum/index.php

Also checkout VASSTs site which has a HUGEmungous amount of valuable tools: http://vasst.com/
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 05:49 AM   #3
Old Boot

Ah! Yes . .get yourself over to DVInfo's Vegas site! ! Loads to pickup on there . .. oh yes!
Old August 24th, 2006, 05:52 AM   #4
Tourist

Thanks Graham. I'll have a look at the sites.

Mirko Kulig
Old August 24th, 2006, 06:19 AM   #5
Old Boot

OOps! Forgot this page too!

http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/for...ssageID=384181

John Meyer produces fab scripts too! Here he has a script that will delete gaps FOR THAT TARCK. Try it out?
Old August 24th, 2006, 06:49 AM   #6
Tourist

I took a look at the sites, and there seem to be quite interesting stuff. But still I don't understand. I've checked it again, and it looks like the program is able to cut a frame in the middle of it but then when it comes to put the clips together even with auto ripple, either it overlaps them for a tiny slice of a frame, or it leaves a gap. Problem is, the gap is then visible while watching the video.
Old August 24th, 2006, 08:01 AM   #7
Tourist

OK,
I tried one of John Meyers scripts, and it seems to work quite fine. Thanks for the link. Mainly, what I found out is that if you move for example at the beginning of the audio fade out before the end of a clip, you can cut the last frame in that position, but you are far away from the frame's beginning. So you are actually cutting somehow just a slice of a frame which under certain circumstances (not always) may become visible as a black gap during preview. As far as I could understand from other forums, this is a Vegas bug.

Thanks again for the help
Mirko Kulig is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion