Music video shoot - any tips? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 11th, 2006, 11:54 AM   #1
New Boot

Music video shoot - any tips?

I will be shooting my first music video next month. It will involve a lot of kids in a playground as well as band shots. Im shooting with an HD100 and I have a Dykortech AdvantaJib-Lite to use. Does anybody have any tips or ideas that make music videos a success - especially ones shot outside?
Scott Devlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 11:59 AM   #2
Major Player

Make sure you use a timecode slate or else sync will be a royal pain in the behind. If you don't have a budget for a slate, burn timecode over the song and hold it up to the camera before playback on a laptop. Works like a champ.
Tim Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 02:16 PM   #3
Inner Circle

The problem with music video sync can be that the band plays out of sync with your playback device. i.e. their drums are overpowering the song, so they just follow their own rhythm.

2- Some shoots just take notes (about which verse they are shooting), and they just sync in post.

3- Or if you want, you could potentially splice sync beeps into the music (lower the music's volume a lot beforehand) to make sync easier for yourself. i.e. make it really easy to sync via looking at waveforms. However, you may still need to check sync yourself (going back to my first comment).
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 03:45 PM   #4
New Boot

The Three Ls

Lighting, Lighting, Lighting!

Even (or perhaps especially) outdoors, lighting is one of the most important aspects of getting good shots. You need to control your highlights, shadows and contrast with reflectors or spotlights. Shoot on overcast days to control harsh shadows. If you want sky/clouds in the background, you really should use lights/reflectors to make everything even and well lit. Avoid shooting during midday, as that is when shadows are the most problematic.

If you can't get lights, you could make reflectors out of silver colored tarps or styrofoam sheets or something similar. Take the time to set up your shots and experiment with lighting. This might be hard to do with the kids in the playground, so choose the right time of day to get even lighting.

Good luck!
Warren Jobe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion