Filming on BART/MUNI...? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 17th, 2006, 03:38 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Filming on BART/MUNI...?

This upcoming short I'll be heading calls for the confines of a moving public transportation vehicle, namely BART. It doesnt have to be BART, it could be a MUNI train or bus if need be. SF Bay Area heads know what I'm talking about.

Has anyone ever shot projects on a BART train before? or even had an entire car to themselves to use while it's in service so that continuity issues are kept to a minimum (i.e. no disappearing/reappearing passengers)?
Sound isn't an issue, as we'll be placing voiceover throughout the entire short.

I found the contact info through SF Film Commission's website, but was hoping there would be someone, anyone, out there that has done this.
Also, I'm a film student at the local college, so I assume that would aid in permits?

Help???
Old September 18th, 2006, 02:12 PM   #2
Major Player

You're not alone, George Lucas shot some of THX-1138 in BART cars and tunnels. Of course, he had a little bit of money behind him.

Most public properties are available for film use for little to no money. Permits are usually cheap ($0-100). There can be costs associated with muni perosnnel. You would likely have to pay a day rate for an BART personnel that were required to operate the train during the shoot. Possibly need to pay a day rate for police or fire perosnnel that might be requried.

All municipalties will require general liability insurance around $1M. The insurance is usually thier utmost concern, so figure it out before getting in touch with them. This shouldn't be a problem to get through your school.
Joshua Provost is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion